Understanding the buoyant force in archimedes principle

In summary, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, which can be less than the volume of the object itself when it is floating. The same formula can be used for both floating and fully submerged objects, as long as the correct volume of fluid displaced is used.
suzukits
I'm really confused about the buoyant force.
What I've understood is that the buoyant force of an object is equal to the volume of the displaced fluid even if it is floating (not fully immersed in the fluid).
How can this be possible?
The volume of the object is the amount of water displaced when THE WHOLE OBJECT IS IMMERSED right??

I would be really thankful if someone could clarify this
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid. When a body floats, the volume of displaced fluid is less than the volume of the object itself. If that same body is fully submerged, the buoyant force will be greater since it will displace more fluid.

Oh okay, and I can use the same formula for both cases? (p*V*g)

suzukits said:
Oh okay, and I can use the same formula for both cases? (p*V*g)
Sure. As long as you use the correct volume of fluid displaced.

Thank you so much!

1. What is the buoyant force in Archimedes' principle?

The buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid, such as water, when the object is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How does understanding the buoyant force help us explain why objects float or sink?

According to Archimedes' principle, an object will float if the weight of the fluid it displaces is equal to or greater than its own weight. This is because the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. If the weight of the object is greater than the weight of the fluid it displaces, it will sink.

3. Can the buoyant force act on objects that are not fully submerged in a fluid?

Yes, the buoyant force can act on objects that are partially submerged in a fluid. In this case, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This is why objects can partially float in water, with part of their volume above the surface and part below.

4. How does the density of an object affect the buoyant force acting on it?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining whether it will float or sink. Objects with a lower density than the fluid they are submerged in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. This is because the buoyant force is greater for objects with lower density, as they displace more fluid.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Archimedes' principle and the buoyant force?

Yes, understanding the buoyant force is important in many real-life situations, such as designing ships and submarines, determining the weight of an object by measuring its buoyancy, and explaining the behavior of hot air balloons. It is also essential in understanding the concept of density and how it affects the behavior of objects in fluids.