Understanding the Complex Plane and Real Plane Relationship

In summary: V(t) vector's head moves to the right in the complex plane, tracing out a sinusoid. Keep watching, and when the time reaches zero, the V(t) vector will be horizontal, and the phase angle will be phi. So the real plane is a projection of the complex plane, as time moves forward from left to right. This can be seen by looking at the real plane at any instant, and seeing the projection of the V(t) vector.In summary, the complex plane and the real plane are related through Euler's equation ei\pi+1=0, which shows that a complex number can be written as a rotation matrix in the real plane. Complex numbers themselves have no direct analogy to
chaoseverlasting
I may be asking a stupid question, but what is the co-relation between the complex plane and the real plane? I know Euler's equation ei\pi+1=0 relates them, but graphically, how are they related?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you know that [itex]e^{i \phi} = \cos\phi + i \sin\phi[/itex] then you can show for yourself that it is just a rotation (e.g. take two basis vectors 1 and i, then you can write it out in matrices and you will see that the matrix [tex]\begin{pmatrix} \cos\phi & 0 \\ 0 & \sin\phi\end{pmatrix}[/tex] corresponding to [itex]e^{i \phi}[/itex] is just a 2d rotation matrix. So if you apply it to a complex number [tex](a + b i) = \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix}[/tex] it will perform a rotation.

Now take a = 1, b = 0 and [itex]\phi = \pi[/itex] and see what happens to the number 1 when multiplied by this matrix.

I know that. That isn't the question. What I mean is, graphically what is the meaning of complex numbers? I know a fair bit of complex analysis and its applications in engineering, but complex numbers themselves, what do they mean? Do they have any analogy to the real world?

What do you mean by "any analogy to the real world?". Usually I would think you meant application instead of analogy, but seeing as you know the applications of the complex numbers in engineering, you obviously meant something else. Perhaps to clear it up for us, tell us what analogy the reals have to the real world?

For example, the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the real line can denote a box, two boxes, three boxes, etc. The equation [tex]y=a sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex] can be used to represent the simple harmonic motion of a particle. Similarly, with respect to the world around us (real world), what do complex numbers represent?

For example, there are countless places where I've used the equation [tex]i(t)=Asin(\omega t+\phi) +iBcos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex], but what does the complex current denote? In any such equation which is used to define some aspect of the world around us, what do complex quantities denote? What do they mean?

Maybe you should ask if they need one?

Consider the negative numbers. I think these were origionally invented (is this the right word?) by the Ancient Chinese in the form of white tablets - which signified debts. These were still treated with suspicion by some mathematicians as late as the middle ages! For instance, positive numbers can be used to represent a volume, or the number of dots on a sheet of paper - how can you have negative volume or a negative number of dots?! Of course today we are perfectly happy and we know they are good for representing other quantities.

Some schools of Ancient Greek mathematicians believed that the only possible numbers were integers and fractions. Then they proved that root 2 was not. This seemed to them to be quite literaly 'irrational'! (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number" for an interesting history of numbers).

We are fine with both of these. We know that the algebraic structure of the natural numbers and positive fractions is good for counting things or bits of things; the algebraic structure of the positive reals is good for lengths, areas and volumes; the algebraic structure of all real numbers seems to correspond well with points in space or the money you own.

To move the discussion on a bit, consider a circle. Can you ever draw a perfect circle? The answer is 'No', simply because of the discrete nature of matter. But we use the idea of a circle all the time.
Hilbert put forward an argument that all mathematics is just a game played on paper according to certain rules. It has nothing to do with real life, but we seem to think it does, and we picks the rules (e.g. 1+1=2) accordingly.

So the complex numbers don't have to correspond to any sort of length, area, quantity. On the other hand their algebraic structure is the same as that of many hard to visualise things - the applications you just mentioned use it. The wave function of a quantum particle uses it. Of course all this doesn't mean that imaginary numbers don't 'exist'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics#Platonism" would certainly tell us that they do. :)

All this is very philisophical.. perhaps I've confused you more than I've enlightened you? Some mathematicians (see Cantor, Dedikind etc.) were very unsatisfied with the 'common sense' definition of numbers so tried to define them more axiomatically with set theory

Last edited by a moderator:
chaoseverlasting said:
For example, the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the real line can denote a box, two boxes, three boxes, etc. The equation [tex]y=a sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex] can be used to represent the simple harmonic motion of a particle. Similarly, with respect to the world around us (real world), what do complex numbers represent?

For example, there are countless places where I've used the equation [tex]i(t)=Asin(\omega t+\phi) +iBcos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex], but what does the complex current denote? In any such equation which is used to define some aspect of the world around us, what do complex quantities denote? What do they mean?

I think this will help.

The equation you wrote (I changed i --> V to avoid confusion): [tex]V(t)=Asin(\omega t+\phi) +iBcos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

represents a sinusoidal voltage in the real plane that has a phase shift at time t=0. Take the complex plane and hold it out in front of you like a sheet of paper, that you are looking at so that the sheet is vertical, and you only see the edge nearest you. That complex plane has the + real axis aimed vertically, and the + complex axis pointing at you. Now, the real plane is perpendicular to that, running left and right, oriented vertically, so that the + time axis is to the right, and the + real axis is still vertical. Now, picture the spinning complex plane vector that represents the V(t) signal, and move the complex plane slice to the right in time, as the complex V(t) vector rotates in the complex plane. You only see the real up/down motion of the tip of the complex vector (picture it as a point) as the complex plane moves to the right in time, and that tip traces out the real V(t) plot that you see traditionally written.

So if there is a phase shift in the complex plane at time t=0, that correlates to a phase shift in the real V(t) signal that you see traced out as you sweep the complex plane from t=0 on to the right to plot out the signal.

Does that help? It sure helped me to visualize this stuff.

BTW, there are other useful mixes of the complex plane and real plane. The one I mention above is for the complex and real amplitude planes. But another use is in Bode plots, where you combine the sigma + j Omega plane with the frequency response amplitude plane. Check out figure 4a:

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN733.pdf

Visualizations like this really help to get a mental handle on the pole-zero plot for a transfer function, and what that does to the Bode plot... Cool stuff.

Thats how I used to imagine the complex and real planes (post #7) and I thought that perhaps euler's equation [tex]e^{i\pi}+1=0[/tex] could somehow relate the complex and real planes, just thought something else already existed. Pretty cool though.

EDIT: That is one cool figure! And this pdf is especially helpful cause I am going to be studying analog circuits this year, college starts on 4th Aug, so I won't know what exactly we're studying, but cool nonetheless.

Until recently I always followed these conversations about the greeks and irrational numbers, and felt smugly 'superior' in that we now 'accept' the irrationals easily... But I have just started to find out about Dedekind (mentioned by olliemath in post 6). I don't have the words worked out yet, but irrational numbers are pretty weird. If you take sqrt(2) as the length of the hypotenuse of a unit right triangle, it seems pretty well defined. But if you are crawling along a number line, headed to root2, it's hard to see when you would stop. It has to do with the idea that the numbers are continuous. This sounds 'obvious' but when you think about it, it gets weird. Sorry for being vague, and I guess this is diverging from the OP (sorrry to hijack the thread). Anyone have pointers to these issues?

1. What is the complex plane and how does it relate to the real plane?

The complex plane, also known as the Argand plane, is a graphical representation of complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, similar to the real plane. However, the complex plane also includes a third axis, the imaginary axis, which is perpendicular to the real axis. This allows for the representation of complex numbers in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The complex plane relates to the real plane by mapping the complex numbers onto the real plane, allowing for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships.

2. Why is it important to understand the relationship between the complex plane and real plane?

Understanding the relationship between the complex plane and real plane is important because it provides a visual representation of complex numbers and their operations. This can help in solving complex equations, as well as understanding concepts such as conjugates and polar form. Additionally, many real-world applications, such as electrical engineering and physics, use complex numbers and their operations, making it crucial to understand their relationship with the real plane.

3. What are the key differences between the complex plane and real plane?

The main difference between the complex plane and real plane is the inclusion of the imaginary axis in the complex plane. This allows for the representation of complex numbers, which cannot be represented on the real plane. Another key difference is that the real plane only has positive and negative values on the x and y axes, while the complex plane has both positive and negative values on all three axes. Additionally, the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are different in the complex plane compared to the real plane.

4. How can the complex plane be used to solve complex equations?

The complex plane can be used to solve complex equations by graphically representing the complex numbers and their relationships. This can help in understanding the operations involved in solving the equation, such as finding the conjugate or using the polar form. Additionally, geometric interpretations of complex numbers on the complex plane, such as rotation and dilation, can aid in solving equations involving complex numbers.

5. What are some practical applications of the complex plane and real plane relationship?

The relationship between the complex plane and real plane has numerous practical applications. In engineering, the complex plane is used to represent and analyze alternating currents and electrical circuits. In physics, it is used to understand and solve problems related to waves and resonance. In mathematics, it is used to solve complex equations and understand complex functions. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as computer graphics, signal processing, and control systems.