1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the concept of impulse

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Im having a little trouble understanding the concept of impulse. The textbook i am using doesnt really shed much light onto the topic.

I know that impulse is equal to the change in momentum of an object, or the product of a force applied to an object and the time it is applied for.

If somebody could please basically explain what impulse is, that would be great. I am a year 11 student in Australia, so i only really need to understand on a basic level.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said it. If a force is applied to an object for some time, and that as a result the momentum of the object changed by an amount [itex]\Delta p[/itex], then we say that the impulse delivered by the force was of [itex]\Delta p[/itex] kg m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?