Cable deflection with 1000N midpoint load and tension to limit sag to 0.7m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
McLaren50
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
I have a cable under tension. In the middle of the cable a force is applied. I want to understand the relationship between the force applied, the tension of the cable and the resulting deflection of the cable at the location of the applied force.
With the above in mind, I have a cable of E=60GPa, cross sectional area 7e-4m^2. I want to understand the relationship between the tension applied resisting the deflection of the cable when a force is applied so that the cable will not deflect more than 0.7m in this case. Take the force as 1000N.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be correct to say that the force is applied normal to the cable? Would you say that the length of the cable matters?
 
Go to YouTube and search for 'cable deflection'.
 
From "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain":

cable Roarks.jpg
 
Chestermiller said:
this applies to beam bending, not cable or wire stretching.

It's in the table of beam bending cases (with restricted horizontal displacement) but, as they say in the description, due to perfect flexibility this can be treated as a cable.
 
FEAnalyst said:
It's in the table of beam bending cases (with restricted horizontal displacement) but, as they say in the description, due to perfect flexibility this can be treated as a cable.
Oops. Sorry. I mistook that A as an I.
 
The fun comes when the load is applied at a location other than the center.