Differentiating the law of cosines with respect to angle

  • Thread starter Thread starter mholland
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cos Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mholland
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm struggling here as I've not done diferentiation in a few years.
The cos law states:
c=(a2+b2-2abcosθ)1/2

I'm trying to figure out how to differentiate this, so if c were a length, what the velocity with which c grows as θ increases (ie c dot)

Any pointers would be great!

If its easier, a and b are fixed lengths, so the equation simplifies to
c=(a-bcosθ)1/2
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's just an application of the basic differentiation laws, particularly the chain rule.

The deriviative of [itex]u^{1/2}[/itex], with respect to u, is [itex](1/2)u^{-1/2}[/itex]. The derivative of 1- v, with respect to v is -1, and, finally, the derivative of [itex]bcos(\theta)[/itex], with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex], is [itex]-bsin(\theta)[/itex].

Putting those together, using the chain rule, the derivative of c is
[tex](1/2)(a- bcos(\theta)^{1/2}(-1)(-bsin(\theta)][tex] which gives what you say.[/tex][/tex]