Law of Cosines and Related Rates

In summary, the question asks for the rate of change of the distance between two people walking at different speeds in different directions after 15 minutes. Using the Law of Cosines and plugging in the given values, the angle between their paths is found to be 45 degrees.
fstam2
Here is the question:
Two people start from the same point. One walks east at 3 mi/h and the other walks northeast at 2 mi/h. How fast is the distance between the people changing after 15 minutes?
I have:
dx/dt= 3 mi/h, dy/dt= 2 mi/h, dz/dt= ?
x= 3*.25= .75, y= 2*.25= .50
The instructor hint was to use the Law of Cosines:
[tex]z^2 = x^2 + y^2 - 2xy \cos \theta[/tex]
My theta is 45 degrees.
My question is that I am plugging in values for all the variables, but I think this is the wrong direction.
Thanks for your help.
Todd

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is the wrong direction?

1. What is the Law of Cosines and how is it used in mathematics?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula used to find the side lengths or angles of a triangle when given other known information. It is used in trigonometry and geometry to solve problems involving non-right triangles. The formula states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the Law of Cosines different from the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a special case of the Law of Cosines, where one of the angles in a triangle is 90 degrees (a right triangle). In this case, the cosine of the angle is equal to 0, making the formula simplify to a² + b² = c². The Law of Cosines can be used for any type of triangle, not just right triangles.

3. What is a related rate problem and how is it related to the Law of Cosines?

A related rate problem is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. These problems often involve geometric figures, such as triangles, where the Law of Cosines can be used to relate the variables. For example, if the lengths of two sides of a triangle are changing, the Law of Cosines can be used to find the rate of change of the third side.

4. How is the Law of Cosines used in real life situations?

The Law of Cosines is used in a variety of real life situations, including navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate distances and angles in land surveying, to design bridges and buildings, and to analyze forces in physics problems. It is also used in GPS systems to calculate the position of an object based on the distances from multiple satellites.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the Law of Cosines?

One common mistake when using the Law of Cosines is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians. Since the formula uses cosine, which takes radians as input, it is important to make sure all angles are in radians. Another mistake is using the Law of Sines instead of the Law of Cosines for non-right triangles, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to pay attention to the order of the sides and angles in the formula, as mixing them up can also result in incorrect answers.