Understanding the equations of a paper

• Thread starter Ecthe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation is about a paper on physics equations and the person is seeking help in understanding how to go from equation A3 to A4. They mention dividing the integration interval into smaller intervals and identifying terms that slowly vary over one wavelength. The person also apologizes for their English not being their native language.
Ecthe
Hello there,

First of all, I am not fully sure that this is the right place to post this. This post is about equations but the paper is a bout physics... so if an admin find a better place for it please feel free to move it.

I am currently trying to fully understand this paper http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01091215
I hope some people have acces to it because I don't think putting only the equation I don't understand is usefull.
So on that paper, I went through all the equations to be sure I understand how he goes from one to another. However, I can't manage to go from A3 to A4. Could someone help me with that ? He does some simplifications which I tried to use but I am allways ending up stucked.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: please forgive my english. It is not my native language and I am not fully comfortable in writting it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the integration interval into smaller interval, each of which is equal to one wavelength in the gain medium. Thus this interval will be ##\Delta z' = \lambda/n##. Doing this you will get summation over successive intervals making up the (approximate) length of the gain medium. After this, find out terms which slowly varies over one wavelength, which are ##S(z)## and ##\exp(i2(k_n-k_{0g})z)## (the latter is based on my guess though since the frequency of this oscillation is much smaller than ##\exp(i2k_{0g}z)##).

1. What are the main equations used in the paper?

The main equations used in a paper depend on the specific topic and research being conducted. However, most papers will include equations that represent fundamental principles or relationships relevant to the research. It is important to carefully read and understand each equation in order to fully comprehend the paper.

2. How do I interpret the equations in the paper?

Interpreting equations in a paper can be challenging, but it is crucial for understanding the research. First, identify the variables and their corresponding symbols in the equation. Then, consider the units of each variable and how they relate to each other. Finally, think about how the equation fits into the overall research and what it is trying to explain or prove.

3. Can I use the equations in the paper for my own research?

It is important to properly cite and reference any equations used from a paper in your own research. Additionally, make sure to carefully consider the context and applicability of the equations to your own research. Some equations may need to be modified or adjusted for your specific study.

4. How do I know if an equation is valid or accurate?

Valid and accurate equations are crucial for reliable and trustworthy research. To determine the validity and accuracy of an equation, consider the sources and references cited in the paper. Also, check for any assumptions or limitations made in the derivation of the equation. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field for their opinions.

5. How can I better understand the mathematical concepts in the paper?

If you are struggling to understand the mathematical concepts in a paper, it may be helpful to seek additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. You can also reach out to the authors of the paper for clarification or further explanation. Practice solving similar equations and problems can also improve your understanding of the mathematical concepts presented in the paper.