Why does the Klein Gordon Lagrangian derivative give a factor of 2 that cancels the 1/2?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter flix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gradient
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
flix
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
ok, quick and dirty and stupid question about calculation rules with 4 gradients:


consider the Klein Gordon Lagrangian [tex]L_{KG} = \frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu}\Phi\partial^{\mu} \Phi - \frac{1}{2} m^2 \Phi^2[/tex].

Why is

[tex]\partial_{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial L_{KG} }{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \Phi)} \right) = \partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu} \Phi[/tex]

Where does the factor 2 come from that cancels out the 1/2 ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
have you taken the lagrangian and 4gradient from same source?

I have always written KG lagrangian (density) as: [tex]L_{KG} = (\partial_{\mu}\Phi) ^{\dagger}\partial^{\mu} \Phi - m^2 |\Phi |^2[/tex]

Then the 4gradient is the one you have written.
 
same source.

the factors 1/2 are there throughout, and it certainly makes sense for the mass term where a factor 2 comes from differentiating.

But where does the factor 2 come from when differentiating by [tex]\partial_{\mu} \Phi[/tex] ?? Probably I miss out a very simple thing...
 
flix said:
But where does the factor 2 come from when differentiating by [tex]\partial_{\mu} \Phi[/tex] ?? Probably I miss out a very simple thing...
I can't see where it comes from either, but then I often miss basic things.

Is there some reason you feel the 2 should be there?
 
well yes, since applying the Euler Lagrange equation on the KG Lagrangian should produce the KG equation:

EL: [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \Phi} - \partial_{\mu} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{\mu} \Phi} \right) = 0[/tex]

KG equation: [tex](\square + m^2) \Phi(x, t) = 0[/tex]
 
Ok, I see. Well, as I said above, I always miss obvious things: note that [itex]\partial^{\mu}\varphi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu}\varphi[/itex] are not independent, thus your derivative will include two terms. We can rewrite the Lagrangian as [tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\varphi\partial_{\nu}\varphi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\varphi^2[/tex]. Differentiating wrt [itex]\partial_{\mu}\varphi[/itex] then yields [tex]\frac{1}{2}\left[\partial_{\nu}\varphi g^{\mu\nu}+\delta_{\mu\nu}\partial_{\mu}\varphi g^{\mu\nu}\left]=\frac{1}{2}\left[2\partial^{\mu}\varphi\left][/tex], which yields the result.

Does that make sense?

Edit: Looks like I was beaten to it!
 
Thank you so much!

I never really liked the covariant picture, although it looks very elegant. It always leads to me missing out basic things.
I really have to dig into it now...