Understanding the Period of a Pendulum: How is T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) Derived?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Okazaki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    gravitation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
Okazaki
Messages
56
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove the equation: T = 2 pi * sqrt(L/g), then determine the period of a "seconds pendulum" (period = 2 sec on Earth) on the surface of the moon.

Homework Equations



T = 2pi * r/v
T = 2pi/ω
ar = rω2

The Attempt at a Solution



Do you assume ar is ag?

T = 2pi/ω
= 2 * pi / sqrt(a/r)
= 2 * pi * sqrt(r/a)

...Apparently, L is supposed to be the length of the pendulum, so somewhere along the line, I completely screwed up.

I can solve the second part of the question just fine, but since I've never actually seen T = 2 pi * sqrt(L/g) used or proved, I'd rather not work with it until I understand where it comes from and how it works.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the component of gravity which causes the bob to move towards the mean position. See how this relates to the SHM equation. Remember that for small displacements from the mean position, the motion is SH. You should be able to derive it now.
Hint: Use angular displacement.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlephNumbers
If you get stuck, keep in mind that most introductory physics textbooks will have a derivation of this.