Prove that the period of a SHM is 2pi*sqrt(m/k)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ItsTheSebbe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Period Shm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 14K views
ItsTheSebbe
Messages
10
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


When I was in high school I was thaught that the period of a simple harmonic oscillation (mass on spring, ball on pendulum, etc) was equal to ##T=2\pi \sqrt \frac m k## though they have never explained to me why. That's what I wanted to find out.

So for example, let's take a mass ##m## on a spring with spring constant ##k##, give it a little nudge and it will start oscillating in a wave-like manner (let's assume no energy is lost due to friction).

PS: This is the first time I'm trying to use LaTeX (first post in general), so if there's anything wrong with the formatting, please let me know :)!

Homework Equations


##T=\frac {2\pi} {\omega}##
##F_{spring}=-kx##
##F_{net}=ma##

The Attempt at a Solution


##F_{net}=F_{spring}##
##ma=-kx##
##m \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} +kx=0##
##\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} +\frac k m x=0##
##\ddot x(t) + \frac k m x(t)=0##

##\text{take} \ \ x=e^{Rt}##

##R^2e^{Rt} +\frac k m e^{Rt}=0##
##R^2+\frac k m =0##
##R^2=-\frac k m##
##R=\pm i\sqrt \frac k m ##

##\text{hence, } x(t)=C_1e^{i\sqrt \frac k m t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt \frac k m t}##

Now, here I get stuck. I know I need to eventually get ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##
I don't really understand how to get there; probably by using Euler's formula.
From here on out I can proof the equation, namely:

##\ddot x=-A\omega^2\cos(\omega t+\phi)=-x\omega^2##
##\text{plugging into EoM gives:}##
##-x\omega^2+\frac k m x=0##
##\omega^2=\frac k m##
##\omega=\sqrt \frac k m##
##T=\frac {2\pi} {\omega}=2\pi \sqrt \frac m k##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ItsTheSebbe said:
##\text{hence, } x(t)=C_1e^{i\sqrt \frac k m t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt \frac k m t}##

Now, here I get stuck. I know I need to eventually get ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##
I don't really understand how to get there; probably by using Euler's formula.
Your expression here can be re-written as:
$$x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)$$
by suitably defining ##C_3## and ##C_4## in terms of ##C_1## and ##C_2## using Euler's formula, as you say.
 
Now how can I get from ##x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)## to a form of ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##?
 
ItsTheSebbe said:
Now how can I get from ##x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)## to a form of ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##?
You derived that ω = √(k/m). So you have to prove that C3cos(ωt)+C4sin(ωt)=Acos(ωt+Φ).

Expand the right side, using the addition formula for cosine. cos(α+β)=cos(α)cos(β)-sin(α)sin(β).
α=ωt and β=Φ.
So C3cos(ωt)+C4sin(ωt)=Acos(ωt)cos(Φ)-Asin(ωt)sin(Φ). The equality must hold for all values of ωt which means that the coefficient of both the cosine terms and the sine terms must be equal on both sides.
Or you can think that it must be true ωt=0 and also for ωt=pi/2:
For ωt=0, C3=Acos(Φ).
for ωt=pi/2, C4=-Asin(Φ).

You can find both A and Φ from these equations.