Explanation of formula T = 2pi sqrt(m/k)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 29K views
jackrc11
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This formula we've been using recently, I don't understand where it comes from.

Homework Equations


T = 2pi * sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution


Hooke's law: F = -kx
E(total) = .5mv^2 + .5kx^2
Circumference of a Circle: C = 2 * pi * r

I figure these piece together, but I don't understand how.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jackrc11 said:

Homework Statement


This formula we've been using recently, I don't understand where it comes from.

Homework Equations


T = 2pi * sqrt(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution


Hooke's law: F = -kx
E(total) = .5mv^2 + .5kx^2
Circumference of a Circle: C = 2 * pi * r

I figure these piece together, but I don't understand how.

You have to derive the equation for acceleration from a graphs of Shm. Look at them and try to get an equation for acceleration.

 
Last edited: