What is the physical significance of 'a' in the Kepler orbit equation?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jerbearrrrrr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kepler Orbit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Jerbearrrrrr
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have the equation [tex]r = \frac{a(1-e^2)}{1+e \cos \theta}[/tex],
and I'm wondering what the physical significance of the numerator is.
More specifically, what is 'a' (since e is what it usually is)?

I've seen various other representations with terms like angular momentum on the top (or rather h^2/GM).

In the context of what I'm doing, it's written this way to (presumably) uncover any implicity 'e'-dependence in the orbit.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
'a' is the semi-major axis of the orbit, or the average value of 'r' for the orbit.