Understanding what you're doing.

• Thread starter streetmeat
  • Start date
In summary: Understanding the math you are applying allows you to know if what you know can be applied to that problem. From the foundations of your understanding, you will be able to attack the problem from the right angle. In summary, understanding the math you are applying is important because it allows you to know if your knowledge can be applied to a problem and helps you approach it effectively.
streetmeat
How important is it to you to understand the math your applying? I am decent at math when it comes to remembering rules and applying everything systematically, and i do well at solving problems using the tools i am given, but sometimes i have trouble understanding exactly why certain rules work down to a science, which kind of bothers me and makes me worry about it affecting my performance later on if i take like an engineering course with intense math.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's important when you are confronted to a new sort of problem. Understanding the math you are applying allows you to know if what you know can be applied to that problem. From the foundations of your understanding, you will be able to attack the problem from the right angle.

it is extremely important

can someone please explain to me then why h = -b/2a in a quadratic function where f(x) = ax^2 + bx +c = a(x-h)^2 + k

streetmeat said:
can someone please explain to me then why h = -b/2a in a quadratic function where f(x) = ax^2 + bx +c = a(x-h)^2 + k

Huh? That's a bit of a weird change of topic! Expand the brackets and see what you get.

streetmeat said:

Okay, say the parabola,
f(x)=ax^2+bx+c

Intersects the x-axis at points (a,b) and (c,d).

Show the axis of symettry is right in the middle of those two points on the x-axis. Meaning, (a+c)/2

But, "a" and "c" are the two roots (zeros) of f(x). And by Viete's formula the sum of the two roots is (-b/a). So h=(-b/a)/2 = (-b/2a)

streetmeat said:
'h' is the value representing horizontal translation. The value is difficult (or impossible - depending on what/how much one knows) to see in general form of the expression; but by completion of the square, and then setting into standard form, you can obtain the value of 'h' directly.

Yes, always helpful to understand the concept.

Last edited:

What is the importance of understanding what you're doing?

Understanding what you're doing is crucial for a scientist as it allows you to accurately interpret and analyze your data, make informed decisions, and draw meaningful conclusions.

How do you ensure that you understand what you're doing?

To ensure understanding, it is important to carefully read and follow experimental protocols, ask questions, and seek clarification when necessary. It is also helpful to discuss your research with colleagues and mentors to gain different perspectives.

What are the consequences of not understanding what you're doing?

If you do not understand what you're doing, you may misinterpret your results, make incorrect conclusions, and waste time and resources. It can also lead to errors in your research that may not be easily identified.

How can you improve your understanding of your work?

To improve understanding, you can attend conferences and workshops, read scientific literature, and collaborate with other scientists. It is also important to continuously evaluate and reflect on your work and seek feedback from others.

Why is it important to regularly re-evaluate your understanding of your work?

Re-evaluating your understanding allows you to identify potential mistakes and correct them, gain new insights, and discover new approaches and techniques. It also ensures that your research remains relevant and up-to-date in your field of study.