Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Understanding Yates' correction

Tags:
  1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    I was studying Biostatistics by Zar, the Yates' correction part and stumbled upon this:

My doubts:

1. The conculsions are not taking place exactly at the level of alpha- what does this mean?
    Do the values of Chi square mentioned in table not correspond to the alpha(probability) indicated? Is the corresponding value actually a range?

1. I also don't understand what it means by 'This situation would be unfortunate were it not for the fact that the approximation is a very good one, except when df=1. In the case of df=1, it is usually recommended to use Yates correction for continuity.'
    Why is Yates' correction specifically done when df=1?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

The statistics for the table simply do not have a chi squared distribution. We have a fixed count and hence a discrete distribution whereas the chi-squared is continuous. Nevertheless the chi-squared distribution is a reasonable approximation for the contingency table. I don't agree that you should use Yates correction when the degrees of freedom is one. I argue that you should never use Yates correction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted