What is Yates' correction of contingency?

In summary, Yates' correction of contingency is a statistical method used to adjust for potential bias in the calculation of contingency tables or chi-square tests. This correction is necessary because traditional methods can overestimate the significance of relationships between variables. It works by subtracting a constant value from the observed and expected values in a contingency table. Yates' correction should be used when analyzing small sample sizes or sparse data, and when expected values are less than 5. However, it is not always appropriate and alternative methods may be more suitable in certain cases.
Tyto alba
I can't understand a word of Wikipedia.[/PLAIN]

P.S. What I know so far is subtracting 0.5 from O-E if df=1 in Goodness of fit (?) is Yates' correction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yates correction is simply what it says it is, which is you take the absolute difference between the observed and expected value and subtract 0.5. It isn't very popular with many people preferring merging cells that have less than 5 into one bucket.

I couldn't edit my question so I posted a new one. Please take a look.

What is Yates' correction of contingency?

Yates' correction of contingency is a statistical method used to adjust for potential bias in the calculation of contingency tables or chi-square tests.

Why is Yates' correction of contingency necessary?

Yates' correction is necessary because traditional contingency tables or chi-square tests can overestimate the significance of relationships between variables due to small sample sizes or sparse data.

How does Yates' correction work?

Yates' correction subtracts a constant value, typically 0.5, from the absolute difference between the observed and expected values in a contingency table. This helps to reduce the bias in the calculation and provide a more accurate measure of the relationship between variables.

When should Yates' correction be used?

Yates' correction should be used when conducting a chi-square test or analyzing a contingency table with small sample sizes or sparse data. It is recommended for use when the expected values in the table are less than 5.

Are there any limitations to using Yates' correction?

Yes, Yates' correction is not always appropriate for all types of data. It should not be used when the expected values in a contingency table are very small or when there are more than two categories in each variable. In these cases, alternative methods such as Fisher's exact test may be more appropriate.