Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underwater breathing apparatus?

1. Aug 28, 2017 #1
    How to make changing depths irrelevant for breathing in a small submarine or other manned underwater vehicle; in terms of the under breathing apparatus or system ???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Make the sides of the submarine rigid, like pretty much all submarines. :smile:

4. Aug 28, 2017 #3

DS2C

Gold Member

Not sure what your'e asking, but subs are pressurized to 1 ATA, regardless of their depth. Their depth restrictions are structural.

5. Aug 29, 2017 #4
  6. Aug 29, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good description of the problem you have without a rigid sub...

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/phys.html

7. Aug 29, 2017 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jacques Cousteau who developed the Aqua-Lung,
    figured out his pressure regulator needed to be adjacent his chest so that regardless if he were upside down or right side up or level , the regulator is at the same depth as the lungs. When it's not it makes air at the wrong pressure for breathing.

27 inches of water is a psi of pressure.
    2 psi is enough to distend your lungs 10% and kill you, look up 'Pulmonary Barotrauma and Scuba Diving'. It can happen is a swimming pool.

So if this is something you're building at home go out and get some scuba training.

I read all of Cousteau's early books in the 1950's when i was in grade school. If underwater is your hobby you might enjoy them as history written by a pioneer in the field..

8. Aug 29, 2017 #7

DS2C

Gold Member

Will second that. Ive seen an arterial gas embolism in a 6 ft swimming pool. If you want to tinker with breathing compressed gas under pressure, know what youre doing.

9. Aug 29, 2017 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    When kids duct-tape dad's paint sprayer to a garden hose and jump in the pool tragedy has just got a dual invitation - electrocution.and burst lung sacs

If you have kids don't let them do that.

I did it and was lucky but at every chest X-ray they ask me " Why are your lungs all scarred up? Were you a coal miner years ago? "
    It's a very real danger.

old jim

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted