1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underwater breathing apparatus?

1. Aug 28, 2017 #1
    How to make changing depths irrelevant for breathing in a small submarine or other manned underwater vehicle; in terms of the under breathing apparatus or system ???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Make the sides of the submarine rigid, like pretty much all submarines. :smile:

4. Aug 28, 2017 #3

DS2C

Gold Member

Not sure what your'e asking, but subs are pressurized to 1 ATA, regardless of their depth. Their depth restrictions are structural.

5. Aug 29, 2017 #4
  6. Aug 29, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good description of the problem you have without a rigid sub...

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/phys.html

7. Aug 29, 2017 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jacques Cousteau who developed the Aqua-Lung,
    figured out his pressure regulator needed to be adjacent his chest so that regardless if he were upside down or right side up or level , the regulator is at the same depth as the lungs. When it's not it makes air at the wrong pressure for breathing.

27 inches of water is a psi of pressure.
    2 psi is enough to distend your lungs 10% and kill you, look up 'Pulmonary Barotrauma and Scuba Diving'. It can happen is a swimming pool.

So if this is something you're building at home go out and get some scuba training.

I read all of Cousteau's early books in the 1950's when i was in grade school. If underwater is your hobby you might enjoy them as history written by a pioneer in the field..

8. Aug 29, 2017 #7

DS2C

Gold Member

Will second that. Ive seen an arterial gas embolism in a 6 ft swimming pool. If you want to tinker with breathing compressed gas under pressure, know what youre doing.

9. Aug 29, 2017 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.
    When kids duct-tape dad's paint sprayer to a garden hose and jump in the pool tragedy has just got a dual invitation - electrocution.and burst lung sacs

If you have kids don't let them do that.

I did it and was lucky but at every chest X-ray they ask me " Why are your lungs all scarred up? Were you a coal miner years ago? "
    It's a very real danger.

old jim

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted