Undetermined Coefficients problem

This will change your final solution from y(t) = 43e^t+10e^(-5t)-24cos(2t)+27sin(2t) to y(t) = 43e^t+10e^(-5t)+24cos(2t)+27sin(2t).
DanielJackins

Homework Statement

Find the unique solution to the differential equation

y''+4y'−5y=−435sin(2t)

satisfying the initial conditions y(0)=29 and y'(0)=47

The Attempt at a Solution

So (I think) I found the correct general solution. I let y(t)=Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t) and eventually worked it out to be A = -24 and B = 27, giving me y(t) = -24cos(2t)+27sin(2t). I found the auxiliary equation as well, y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t), and then if I'm not mistaken I add them together.

This gives me y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t)-24cos(2t)+27sin(2t), and y' = c1e^t-5c2e^(-5t)+48sin(2t)+54cos(2t). I subbed in the initial values, and got c1 = 43 and c2 = 10. So finally, I had y(t) = 43e^t+10e^(-5t)-24cos(2t)+27sin(2t), which was incorrect. Anybody see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
DanielJackins said:

Homework Statement

y''+4y'−5y=−435sin(2t)

So (I think) I found the correct general solution. I let y(t)=Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t) and eventually worked it out to be A = -24 and B = 27, giving me y(t) = -24cos(2t)+27sin(2t). I found the auxiliary equation as well, y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t), and then if I'm not mistaken I add them together.

This gives me y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t)-24cos(2t)+27sin(2t), and y' = c1e^t-5c2e^(-5t)+48sin(2t)+54cos(2t). I subbed in the initial values, and got c1 = 43 and c2 = 10. So finally, I had y(t) = 43e^t+10e^(-5t)-24cos(2t)+27sin(2t), which was incorrect. Anybody see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

It appears you didn't do a characteristic equation.

eg. y'' + 0y' -1y = -578sin(4t)

r^2 - 1 = 0

I thought I did? I said r^2+4r-5 = 0, which gave me r = 1 and r = -5, giving me the equation y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t)

DanielJackins said:

Homework Statement

y''+4y'−5y=−435sin(2t)

Thanks!

Your auxiliar equation is r^2 + 4r - 5 = 0, factorising that you get r=1 and r=-5 just like you said. The complementary function should be y(t) = c1e^(r1t) + c2e^(r2t) where r1 and r2 are the roots of the auxiliar equation.

Regarding A and B of your trial solution, I'd check your working again because one of the signs might be wrong.

Once you find both the constants of the trial solution, you add it to the complementary function, differentiate as needed to find the particular solution.

DanielJackins said:
I thought I did? I said r^2+4r-5 = 0, which gave me r = 1 and r = -5, giving me the equation y = c1e^t+c2e^(-5t)

Yup, my mistake

didn't you do a second derivative for yp? furthermore, both yp and y'p are wrong.

Last edited:
Sorry, can you point out where I went wrong?

Sorry, I misread the first part. You made a mistake when calculating A and B most probably. I got A=24 and B=27

DanielJackins said:
Sorry, can you point out where I went wrong?

derive yp = Asin(2t) + Bcos(2t) until you solve the second derivative, y''p

You just made an algebraic mistake somewhere. As Lunat1c said, A should equal +24, not -24.

Related to Undetermined Coefficients problem

1. What is the Undetermined Coefficients problem?

The Undetermined Coefficients problem is a method used in solving differential equations with non-homogeneous terms. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming a general form and determining the coefficients using the given non-homogeneous term.

2. When is the Undetermined Coefficients method used?

This method is used when solving differential equations with non-homogeneous terms that can be expressed as a sum of polynomials, exponential functions, sine or cosine functions, or a combination of these. It is not applicable for all types of non-homogeneous terms.

3. How does the Undetermined Coefficients method work?

The method involves assuming a particular solution in the form of the non-homogeneous term and its derivatives, with undetermined coefficients. These coefficients are then solved by substituting the assumed solution into the differential equation and equating the coefficients of each term on both sides.

4. What are the limitations of the Undetermined Coefficients method?

The method is limited to certain types of non-homogeneous terms and may not work for all types of differential equations. It also does not provide a general solution and may require additional methods to find the complete solution.

5. Are there any alternatives to the Undetermined Coefficients method?

Yes, there are other methods for solving differential equations with non-homogeneous terms such as the Variation of Parameters method and the Laplace Transform method. These methods may be more applicable to certain types of differential equations and can provide a general solution.