1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up particular solution for nonhomogenous diff eq'n

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    Given the nonhomogenous differential equation y'' + 3y' + 2y = -10e^(3t), the roots are r = -2 & -1, & the characteristic eq'n is yc(x) = c1e^(-2t) + c2e^(-t)

How do we go about setting up the particular solution?

There is no repetition between terms so I know that we do not add a variable to the particular solution. Since we have -10e^3t do we set up the particular solution as yp(t) = -Ae^3t? OR just yp(t) = Ae^3t? I know that A just represents a constant but do I need to include the negative sign or not?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter whether you use the ##-A## or ##A##. Try them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  4. Apr 19, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In future posts, please do not delete the homework template.

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    When setting up the particular solution as yp(t) = Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = 3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = 9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = -1/2.

However, when setting up the particular sol'n as yp(t) = -Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = -3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = -9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = 1/2.

So, I do believe there is a difference because -1/2 is not equal to 1/2.

Which substitution should I use, A or -A?

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
    You mean those 1.

things?

7. Apr 19, 2015 #6

Mark44

Yes, and the sections for Problem Statement, Relevant Equations, and Attempt. Per forum rules, the homework template is required for homework problems.

8. Apr 19, 2015 #7
    Oh, I get it now. -A = 1/2 and A = 1/2 so it doesn't matter... derp.

Thank you so much!

9. Apr 19, 2015 #8
    Sounds good, I will use them from now on.

10. Apr 19, 2015 #9

Mark44

OK, good. We appreciate it.

I should mention that there's no point in writing -Ae3t, as A could be positive or negative. All that will come out in the wash when you solve for A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted