Setting up particular solution for nonhomogenous diff eq'n

In summary: Thank you for the clarification.I should mention that there's no point in writing -Ae3t, as A could be positive or negative. All that will come out in the wash when you solve for A.
Rosebud
Given the nonhomogenous differential equation y'' + 3y' + 2y = -10e^(3t), the roots are r = -2 & -1, & the characteristic eq'n is yc(x) = c1e^(-2t) + c2e^(-t)

How do we go about setting up the particular solution?

There is no repetition between terms so I know that we do not add a variable to the particular solution. Since we have -10e^3t do we set up the particular solution as yp(t) = -Ae^3t? OR just yp(t) = Ae^3t? I know that A just represents a constant but do I need to include the negative sign or not?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rosebud said:
Given the nonhomogenous differential equation y'' + 3y' + 2y = -10e^(3t), the roots are r = -2 & -1, & the characteristic eq'n is yc(x) = c1e^(-2t) + c2e^(-t)

There is no repetition between terms so I know that we do not add a variable to the particular solution. Since we have -10e^3t do we set up the particular solution as yp(t) = -Ae^3t? OR just yp(t) = Ae^3t? I know that A just represents a constant but do I need to include the negative sign or not?

Thank you.

It doesn't matter whether you use the ##-A## or ##A##. Try them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosebud said:

Thank you.
In future posts, please do not delete the homework template.

LCKurtz said:
When setting up the particular solution as yp(t) = Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = 3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = 9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = -1/2.

However, when setting up the particular sol'n as yp(t) = -Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = -3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = -9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = 1/2.

So, I do believe there is a difference because -1/2 is not equal to 1/2.

Which substitution should I use, A or -A?

Mark44 said:
In future posts, please do not delete the homework template.

You mean those 1.

things?

Rosebud said:
You mean those 1.

things?
Yes, and the sections for Problem Statement, Relevant Equations, and Attempt. Per forum rules, the homework template is required for homework problems.

LCKurtz said:
Oh, I get it now. -A = 1/2 and A = 1/2 so it doesn't matter... derp.

Thank you so much!

Mark44 said:
Yes, and the sections for Problem Statement, Relevant Equations, and Attempt. Per forum rules, the homework template is required for homework problems.
Sounds good, I will use them from now on.

Rosebud said:
When setting up the particular solution as yp(t) = Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = 3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = 9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = -1/2.

However, when setting up the particular sol'n as yp(t) = -Ae^(3t), yp'(t) = -3Ae^(3t) and yp''(t) = -9Ae^(3t). After substituting these back into the original diff eq'n we get A = 1/2.

So, I do believe there is a difference because -1/2 is not equal to 1/2.

Which substitution should I use, A or -A?
Rosebud said:
Sounds good, I will use them from now on.
OK, good. We appreciate it.

I should mention that there's no point in writing -Ae3t, as A could be positive or negative. All that will come out in the wash when you solve for A.

1. What is a nonhomogenous differential equation?

A nonhomogenous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. This means that the equation is not in the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0, where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

2. How do you solve a nonhomogenous differential equation?

To solve a nonhomogenous differential equation, you will need to use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution that satisfies the nonhomogenous part of the equation, and then combining it with the general solution of the corresponding homogenous equation to get the complete solution.

3. What are the steps involved in setting up a particular solution for a nonhomogenous differential equation?

The steps involved in setting up a particular solution for a nonhomogenous differential equation are:

1. Identify the nonhomogenous part of the equation and denote it as f(x).
  2. Find a particular solution that satisfies f(x). This can be done by finding a function that is similar in form to f(x) and substituting it into the equation.
  3. Combine the particular solution with the general solution of the corresponding homogenous equation to get the complete solution.

4. Can you provide an example of setting up a particular solution for a nonhomogenous differential equation?

For example, let's say we have the nonhomogenous differential equation y'' + 2y' + y = 3x + 2. The corresponding homogenous equation is y'' + 2y' + y = 0. To find the particular solution, we can try a function of the form Ax + B, where A and B are constants. Substituting this into the equation, we get A + 2A + B = 3x + 2. Solving for A and B, we get A = 3 and B = -1. Therefore, the particular solution is y = 3x - 1. To get the complete solution, we combine this particular solution with the general solution of the homogenous equation, which is y = C1e^(-x) + C2e^(-x). So the complete solution is y = 3x - 1 + C1e^(-x) + C2e^(-x).

5. What are some applications of nonhomogenous differential equations in science?

Nonhomogenous differential equations are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the growth of a population, the spread of a disease, the motion of a pendulum, or the heat transfer in a system. They are also commonly used in control systems to describe the behavior of a system over time.