1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undetermined system with no solutions?

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    So I have the system { 2x+3y+z-3v=2 ;x-y+2z+v=0 ;3x+2y+3z-2v=-2} . I have to show that the system has no solutions.. I notice that it has more unknowns than equations so it is an undetermined system.If I form the matrix ? |(2 1 3 ) (3 -1 2) (1 2 3)| I notice that the determinant is diff from zero so this three vectors are linearly indipendent. Now how do I form a matrix using ( 2 0 -2) and these three vectors with the condition that they have a determinant diff from zero? Because if they have a determinant diff from zero,the system has no solutions.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, but what are you deducing from that?
    If there are no solutions there must be a linear combination of the equations which eliminates all variables but not all constants. It's fairly easy to spot.

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    I wrote the question in the wrong way..the answer on my textbook is " The system has no solutions"..I just have to show if the system has or not solutions...

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4
    But if the system has no solutions the vectors forming the matrix including 2 0 -2 should be linearly indipendent /....

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure what you mean by 'including 2 0 -2'. Do you mean the 5x3 matrix formed by moving the constants across to the left? The non-existence of solutions does not require all the equations to be linearly independent. Trivial example:
    x - 1 = 0
    x - 2 = 0
    x - 2 = 0
    In the OP, I can see a linear combination of the equations which eliminates all the variables but leaves a contradictory statement regarding the constants. That implies there are no solutions.
    The det of |(2 1 3 ) (3 -1 2) (1 2 3)| is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook