Constructing a 3x3 Linear system question

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a 3x3 linear system with 9 different coefficients on the left hand side, but rows 2 and 3 become zero in elimination. The system is solved using the Gaussian elimination method, and it is explained how to set up the matrix and find solutions for different values of the right hand side. The conversation also discusses how to handle situations where the system has no solution or an infinite number of solutions.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

Construct a 3 × 3 example of a linear system that has 9 different coefficients on the left hand side but rows 2 and 3 become zero in elimination. If the right hand sude of your system is <b1,b2,b3> (Imagine this is a column vector) then how many solutions does your system have for (i) b1 = 1, b2 = 10, b3 = 100, and (ii) b1 = b2 = b3 = 0?

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination method I used here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GaussianElimination.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried setting up a matrix in the form C|d, but I'm not sure what to put for my coefficients. Should I be putting actual numbers in that would make the system 0? I'm just really stuck on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, if the second row of the matrix has elements that are 2 times the elements of first row, and the third row is 3 times the first row, as in

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 2 & 4 & 6 \\ 3 & 6 & 9\end{bmatrix}##

and the RHS column vector is like this too, then the second and third rows don't contain any new information after reading the first row, and can be converted to the identity 0 = 0.

hilbert2 said:
For example, if the second row of the matrix has elements that are 2 times the elements of first row, and the third row is 3 times the first row, as in

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 2 & 4 & 6 \\ 3 & 6 & 9\end{bmatrix}##

and the RHS column vector is like this too, then the second and third rows don't contain any new information after reading the first row, and can be converted to the identity 0 = 0.
So I can write the matrix as you have above with actual numbers since they are just coefficients, then? Additionally, when solving the second part of the problem, would I find an element of column b, say b2 - b1, and set it equal to zero, plugging in the points. But would I then need an element of the column with b1 b2 and b3 all present?

Yes, you can write it with either actual numbers or as arbitrary symbols like ##a,2a,3a##.

Now if the full system is something like

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 | 1 \\ 2 & 4 & 6 | 1 \\ 3 & 6 & 9 | 1\end{bmatrix}##

you can immediately subtract two times the first row from the second row and get an identically false equation ##0 = -1##, which means that the system doesn't have a solution at all. For some other choices of RHS, the equation can have an infinite number of solutions.

hilbert2 said:
Yes, you can write it with either actual numbers or as arbitrary symbols like ##a,2a,3a##.

Now if the full system is something like

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 | 1 \\ 2 & 4 & 6 | 1 \\ 3 & 6 & 9 | 1\end{bmatrix}##

you can immediately subtract two times the first row from the second row and get an identically false equation ##0 = -1##, which means that the system doesn't have a solution at all. For some other choices of RHS, the equation can have an infinite number of solutions.
7qXhhui.jpg

This is what I got for my reduced matrix then. So to answer part b, which one of the b columns would I plug values into see if it's consistent considering none of them have b1 b2 and b3 in them?

Attachments

• 7qXhhui.jpg
    7qXhhui.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 497

1. What is a 3x3 linear system?

A 3x3 linear system is a set of three equations with three variables that can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all three equations.

2. How do I construct a 3x3 linear system?

To construct a 3x3 linear system, you will need three equations with three variables. These equations can be in the form of linear equations, quadratic equations, or a combination of both. You can also use matrices to represent a 3x3 linear system, where the coefficients of the variables are the values in the matrix.

3. What are the steps to solve a 3x3 linear system?

The steps to solve a 3x3 linear system include: 1. Write down the three equations with three variables2. Rearrange the equations to have the same variables in the same order3. Use elimination or substitution to eliminate one variable at a time4. Solve for the remaining variables5. Check your answers by plugging them into the original equations

4. Can a 3x3 linear system have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 3x3 linear system can have multiple solutions. This means that there is more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy all three equations. In this case, the solution is considered to be a system of equations with infinite solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a 3x3 linear system is correct?

To check if your solution to a 3x3 linear system is correct, you can plug in the values for the variables into the original equations. If the equations are satisfied, then your solution is correct. You can also use matrices to represent the system and check if the solution satisfies all three equations when multiplied together.