1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Acceleration-Algebraically

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

An object was displaced 19.6 m east while uniformly accelerating from rest. If the average velocity of the object was 5.00 m/s east, what was the rate of acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So my Vo=0
    Vf= 5.00m/s east
    x=19.6m

I need to calculate acceleration. Which equation do I use and how would I manipulate it?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What is the definition of average velocity? Can you extract a time from this definition and the given information?

If you know the time and the distance traveled, do you know of a kinematic equation that relates them to the acceleration?

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    I don't believe I can extract a time from the problem. I tried using Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2ax. I do not know how to isolate the a. Can you help? My average velocity is my final velocity in this problem, is that correct?

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

gneill

You can extract a time. Go back to your notes and find the definition of average velocity.

6. Sep 30, 2011 #5
    Average velocity is displacement/time. Would my time be 3.92s?

7. Sep 30, 2011 #6

gneill

You have the average velocity and you have the displacement....

8. Sep 30, 2011 #7
    I still do not understand. I tried every equation and am not getting the answer

9. Sep 30, 2011 #8

gneill

Look at the definition for average velocity. Can you identify the time variable in the definition?
    Isolate the time variable in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook