1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform circular motion airplane problem

1. Jul 22, 2007 #1
    An airplane is flying in a horizontal circle at a speed of 470 km/h (Figure 6-39). If its wings are tilted 40° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an "aerodynamic lift" that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

2. F=mv^2/r

I first tried setting F to mgsin40 and solving for r (thinking the m would cancel from both sides of the equation), but that didn't seem to work. So I'm kind of at a standstill not knowing where to go with this problem
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2007 #2
    Your diagram isn't visible, but I assume you have a problem resolving forces. Can you post your free body diagram here?
  4. Jul 22, 2007 #3
    - I'm not sure how I could draw one out on here (don't have a scanner to scan it either). I guess I could try describing it.

I have r as my horizontal plane with the airplane set 40 degree's from the horizontal. I have mg (unknown) going toward earth. I have a perpendicular to the plane for my "aerodynamic lift" force. Then a force going towards the center.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?