Uniform Circular Motion amusement park ride

In summary, the question asks for the value of the normal force on a carriage attached to a mechanical arm on an amusement park ride. The solution uses the equation Fc = Fg + Fn = mv^2/r, but does not include the tension in the mechanical arm. This is because the force between the carriage and the people inside depends only on their mass and the rotational speed, not the tension in the arm. The tension in the arm provides the normal force, but the mass of the people determines its magnitude. The use of mv^2/r is suggested for future calculations.
collegelife101
Hello everyone,

I'm really stuck on this question. The diagram shows an amusement park ride which contains a carriage attached to a mechanical arm. This arm spins around full circle. The carriage has a mass of 300 kg and a maximum occupancy of 300 kg.

The question asks: With its carriage full, the second ride goes through the top of its swing. What is the value of the normal force if speed is 20 m/s?

The solution sets it up as Fc= Fg + Fn= mv(squared)/r. I understand the equation, but why is the tension in the mechanical arm not included? I would think that it would also be a force contributing to the Fc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the diagram?

The diagram is in my book so I can't add it.

collegelife101 said:
The diagram is in my book so I can't add it.

Can you draw it using paint and upload it? Or you can just take a photo of it.
We can't answer questions without seeing it. Ya know!

I have attached a picture.

Attachments

• 20140507_120832_resized.jpg
    20140507_120832_resized.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 374
collegelife101 said:
Hello everyone,

I'm really stuck on this question. The diagram shows an amusement park ride which contains a carriage attached to a mechanical arm. This arm spins around full circle. The carriage has a mass of 300 kg and a maximum occupancy of 300 kg.

The question asks: With its carriage full, the second ride goes through the top of its swing. What is the value of the normal force if speed is 20 m/s?

The solution sets it up as Fc= Fg + Fn= mv(squared)/r. I understand the equation, but why is the tension in the mechanical arm not included? I would think that it would also be a force contributing to the Fc.

Thanks!
Isn't Fn the tension? A diagram would help.

Next time try mv2/r instead of mv(squared)/r. It's really not that hard. just press on advanced and than on the superscript button.

collegelife101 said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Welcome to PF collegelife101!

The reason the tension in the mechanical arm is not included is that the question is asking for the force between the carriage and the people. That force depends only on the mass of the contents of the carriage (i.e the mass of the people in it) and its speed. The tension in the arm provides the that normal force, but the mass of the people will determine the magnitude of that normal force (for a given rotational speed).

AM

dauto said:
Next time try mv2/r instead of mv(squared)/r. It's really not that hard. just press on advanced and than on the superscript button.
Or learn Latex. It's million times better than BBcodes(Sup ,sub scripts etc...)

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and covering the same distance at each point along the circular path.

2. How does a Uniform Circular Motion amusement park ride work?

A Uniform Circular Motion ride typically consists of a circular track with a car or cart attached to it. The car moves along the track at a constant speed, and the circular motion is created by the track's curvature. This allows riders to experience the sensation of being pushed outwards while moving in a circular path.

3. What are the forces acting on riders in a Uniform Circular Motion ride?

The two main forces acting on riders in a Uniform Circular Motion ride are centripetal force and centrifugal force. Centripetal force is the force that pulls the rider towards the center of the circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent force that pushes the rider away from the center of the circular path.

4. Is Uniform Circular Motion safe for riders?

Uniform Circular Motion rides are generally considered safe for riders as long as they are properly designed and maintained. The speed and curvature of the track must be carefully calculated to ensure that the forces acting on riders are within safe limits. It is also important for riders to follow all safety precautions and guidelines while on the ride.

5. What are the real-world applications of Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion has many real-world applications, including amusement park rides, carousel rides, and circular motion in sports such as ice skating and roller skating. It is also important in the study of celestial mechanics, as many objects in space move in circular or elliptical paths.