1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Circular Motion and Centripetal acceleration

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a scene in a movie, a stunt driver drives a 1.20✕ 103 kg pickup truck with a length of 4.65 m around a circular curve with a radius of curvature of 0.333 km (Fig. 7.29). The truck is to curve off the road, jump across a gully 10.0 m wide, and land on the other side 2.96 m below the initial side. What is the minimum centripetal acceleration the truck must have in going around the circular curve to clear the gully and land on the other side?
    upload_2015-11-10_20-28-6.png

2. Relevant equations
    a(c) = v^2/ r
    Fc = mv^2/ r
    (I don't really know what else to apply here)
    I guess we could use energy or kinematics for the ravine part.
    KE= 1/2mv^2
    PE= mgh
    3. The attempt at a solution
    0.333 km= 333 m
    Fc = mv^2/ r
    This is where i got lost and confused.
    Please guide me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Attempt 1: Used the maximum height that it can travel to find the time it would take to cross the gulch (t = 0.77 secs). Divided that by distance to get a velocity (12.9). Plugged that into the formula for centripetal acceleration and got .49 which is wrong.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    I think you have to take into account the length of the truck, otherwise you are calculating the speed it would take for the truck's front bumper to clear the gully, leaving the rest of the truck to fall in!

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    Okay so i woulld just add right? thanks ill try that.

6. Nov 10, 2015 #5
    Okay thank you that was correct

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6

SWJ

Hi, i am really interested in this question and would like to attempt this question on my own. So is it possible if you can post the answer to this question? Thank you

8. Nov 11, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you should post your own attempt first.

9. Nov 11, 2015 #8

SWJ

No, i meant the final answer to this question, not the solution so that i know if what i get in the end is correct.

10. Nov 11, 2015 #9
    The answer is 1.08 m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted