Uniform Circular Motion and Centripetal acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the minimum centripetal acceleration required for a stunt driver to drive a 1.20✕ 103 kg pickup truck with a length of 4.65 m around a circular curve with a radius of curvature of 0.333 km and successfully jump across a gully 10.0 m wide and land on the other side 2.96 m below the initial side. The conversation includes discussions about using equations such as a(c) = v^2/ r, Fc = mv^2/ r, KE= 1/2mv^2, and PE= mgh to find the solution. Ultimately, the answer is determined to be 1.08 m/s
suyashr99

Homework Statement

For a scene in a movie, a stunt driver drives a 1.20✕ 103 kg pickup truck with a length of 4.65 m around a circular curve with a radius of curvature of 0.333 km (Fig. 7.29). The truck is to curve off the road, jump across a gully 10.0 m wide, and land on the other side 2.96 m below the initial side. What is the minimum centripetal acceleration the truck must have in going around the circular curve to clear the gully and land on the other side?
upload_2015-11-10_20-28-6.png

Homework Equations

a(c) = v^2/ r
Fc = mv^2/ r
(I don't really know what else to apply here)
I guess we could use energy or kinematics for the ravine part.
KE= 1/2mv^2
PE= mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

0.333 km= 333 m
Fc = mv^2/ r
This is where i got lost and confused.
Please guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Attempt 1: Used the maximum height that it can travel to find the time it would take to cross the gulch (t = 0.77 secs). Divided that by distance to get a velocity (12.9). Plugged that into the formula for centripetal acceleration and got .49 which is wrong.

I think you have to take into account the length of the truck, otherwise you are calculating the speed it would take for the truck's front bumper to clear the gully, leaving the rest of the truck to fall in!

Mister T said:
I think you have to take into account the length of the truck, otherwise you are calculating the speed it would take for the truck's front bumper to clear the gully, leaving the rest of the truck to fall in!
Okay so i woulld just add right? thanks ill try that.

Mister T said:
Okay thank you that was correct

Hi, i am really interested in this question and would like to attempt this question on my own. So is it possible if you can post the answer to this question? Thank you

SWJ said:
Hi, i am really interested in this question and would like to attempt this question on my own. So is it possible if you can post the answer to this question? Thank you
No, you should post your own attempt first.

No, i meant the final answer to this question, not the solution so that i know if what i get in the end is correct.

The answer is 1.08 m/s^2

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object that moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is always moving at the same speed, but its direction is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that acts towards the center of a circular path. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path.

3. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object?

No, centripetal acceleration does not affect the speed of an object. It only affects the direction of motion by constantly changing it towards the center of the circular path. The speed of the object remains constant.

5. What are some examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the motion of a car around a circular track.