Uniform Circular Motion Free Body Diagrams

In summary: At the bottom of the ferris wheel, the normal force acts down and the weight acts down. The sum of these 2 forces, that is, the net force, is equal to ma, per Newton 2, where a is the centripetal acceleration acting inward (up) toward the center of the circle. In summary, for a circular motion addict of mass 82.0 kg riding a Ferris wheel with a radius of 14.0 m and a constant speed of 7.10 m/s, the period of the motion is 12.39 s and the magnitudes of the normal force on the addict from the seat at the highest and lowest points are 509.22 N and 1099.62
archelon

Homework Statement

A circular-motion addict of mass 82.0 kg rides a Ferris wheel around in a vertical circle of radius 14.0 m at a constant speed of 7.10 m/s. (a) What is the period of the motion? What is the magnitude of the normal force on the addict from the seat when both go through (b) the highest point of the circular path and (c) the lowest point?

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r = 3.6 m/s
ma = -295.2
mg = -804.42

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer to this problem (12.39 s, 509.22 N, and 1099.62 N respectively) but I'm having trouble understanding the FBD that leads to the answers for (b) and (c).
For example, for the FBD at the time of the Ferris wheel, I have the force from centrifugal acceleration and the force from gravity pointing towards the center and the normal force pointing opposite from those two. Then I solve for the normal force and get -Fn=Fa+Fg, or in other words -Fn = ma + mg, since the normal force has to cancel out the two forces pointing downwards. So the answer I keep getting is -Fn = -295.2 + -804.42. The same thing (just the opposite) happens to me at the bottom.
Please show me where I am mistaken and help me understand the correct FBD's.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should avoid the conecept of centrifugal force caused by centripetal acceleration, because it is a ficticious 'pseudo' force. Instead, there are only 2 forces acting in your FBD, the normal force and the weight (gravity) force. At the top of the ferris wheel, the normal force acts up and the weight acts down. The sum of these 2 forces, that is, the net force, is equal to ma, per Newton 2,where a is the centripetal acceleration acting inward (down) toward the center of the circle. The centripetal acceleration is always inward toward the center of the circle, and always in the direction of the net force.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed around the circle and the direction of its velocity is constantly changing.

2. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces and their directions, as well as the object's mass and any internal forces.

3. Why is a free body diagram important in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object is constantly accelerating towards the center of the circle, which means there must be a net force acting towards the center. A free body diagram helps us identify all the forces acting on the object and determine the net force, which ultimately determines the object's direction of motion.

4. How do you draw a free body diagram for uniform circular motion?

To draw a free body diagram for uniform circular motion, first identify the object's mass and its direction of motion. Then, draw an arrow pointing towards the center of the circle to represent the object's centripetal force. Next, draw any other external forces acting on the object, such as tension or friction. Finally, label each force with its magnitude and direction.

5. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is a real force that acts on the object. On the other hand, centrifugal force is a fictional force that appears to push the object away from the center of the circle due to its inertia. In reality, centrifugal force is just the result of the object's tendency to continue moving in a straight line, rather than following the curved path of the circle.