1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle motion when wrapped around drum; elastic string

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform cylindrical drum of mass [itex] M [/itex] and radius [itex] a [/itex] is free to rotate about its axis, which i is horizontal. An elastic cable of negligible mass and length [itex]l[/itex] is wrapped around the drum and carries on its free end a mass [itex]m[/itex]. The cable has elastic potential energy [itex]\tfrac12 kx^2 [/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] is the extension of the cable. The cable is initially fully wound up. Show that the motion of the mass [itex]m[/itex] is a uniform acceleration the same as it would be if the cable were inelastic, but it is superimposed with an oscillation of angular frequency given by [itex] \omega^2 = k(M +2m)/Mm [/itex]. Find the amplitude of the oscillation if the system is released from rest with the cable unextended.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The Lagrangian is
    [tex]
    L = \tfrac14 Ma^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \tfrac{m}{2} (a\dot{\theta} +\dot{x})^2 + mg(a\theta +x) -\tfrac12 k x^2
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle rotated from its rest position such that a positive angle results in the mass moving downwards. From this we get the equations
    [tex]
    m(a \ddot{\theta} + \ddot{x} ) =mg -kx
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    Ma \ddot{\theta} +2m(a \ddot{\theta} +\ddot{x}) = 2mg
    [/tex]

We can eliminate [itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex] to get
    [tex]
    \ddot{x} = -\frac{k(M+2m)}{mM}x + g
    [/tex]
    We can eliminate [itex]g[/itex] by intorducing a new variable but the key point is the angular frequency is the one given in the question. The amplitude then becomes [itex]Mmg/k(M+2m)[/itex], whereas the one given in the book is [itex]M^2mg/k(M+2m)^2[/itex]. Solving for [itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex] I get
    [tex]
    a \ddot{\theta} = \frac{2k}{M}x
    [/tex]
    which isn't the uniform acceleration they asked for. The uniform acceleration I think should be [itex] 2mg/(M+2m) [/itex].

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you have some signs wrong in your Lagrangian.

I really do not like this question. The expression for elastic PE is completely unrealistic here. It is only correct for uniformly stretched elastic. If k is the elastic constant for the whole string, then for the unwound piece of length y it is kl/y. If the extension is x then the PE is klx2/(2y).

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    I've looked at it a bit and I'm not sure what the sign error would be.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, your signs are correct. I also agree with your amplitude.
    Why do you think ##a\ddot\theta## would give the underlying constant acceleration? Can you think of another way to find it?

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5
    I did combine two questions here. The previous question was without the string being inelastic and the constant acceleration term was [itex] a \ddot{\theta}[/itex]. I guess there is no other acceleration with the coordinates I have chosen.

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6
    If I find the acceleration [itex]a \ddot{\theta}[/itex] perhaps then combining the two it will be obvious.

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know that x is a sin function of t, plus a constant, no? Can you not simply discard the sine function and solve for ##\ddot\theta##?

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I found the answer they were looking for. From [itex] a \ddot{\theta} = 2kx/M [/itex] I found [itex] a \theta[/itex] and then added it to [itex]x[/itex] from which we get a term corresponding to a constant acceleration of [itex]2mg/(M+2m)[/itex] and an oscillation with the same frequency but with amplitude as given in the book.

10. Oct 2, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, of course, it's the amplitude of the aθ+x oscillation you want, which is not the same as that of x.
    Well done. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted