1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular velocity in a uniform circular motion.

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    Hi people, i had my final exam yesterday, and one of the questions was this "a particle in uniform circular motion, moved for an interval of 0.185 seconds in a circular path of radius 16 cm, what is the angular velocity of the particle"???

I think that the question lacks information, am i right???

We all know that "s = rϑ", and that "v = s/t", "v = rω", I made the substitutions needed, but came with the result that there's a lack of information, so please people, help is needed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi tete9000! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I agree, that's very badly worded.

(was it in English, or is that a translation?)

If I was taking the exam, I would assume that the question meant that "in a circle" meant a complete circle; alternatively, that "period" was being used in its technical sense rather than its general sense, as if it had said "with a period" (and so again meant the time to make a complete circle).

But that's not what the question says. :frown:

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Sorry tiny-tim, i edited the question concerning the points you mentioned, but you agree that there's a lack of information relating the question, right???

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi tete9000! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: … )
    Yes.

(I'd still assume it meant a complete circle, but on the new wording, that's just a wild guess :redface:)

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5
    There must be something lacking. If it had said "the particle completed a full circle at t=0.185, taking into account that the motion started at t=0", then nothing would have sounded defective.

AB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook