Uniform Circular Motion Question

In summary, the problem involves a body of mass 81.7g moving in a circular path of radius 0.65m. The goal is to find the period of revolution given a calculated centrifugal force of 0.35N. By using the equations provided, the solution involves converting the mass to kilograms and using the formula for centripetal acceleration to find the velocity. Then, the period can be calculated using the circumference and velocity. Remember to take note of the units and use SI units in calculations.
blackice552
1. Homework Statement :
A body of mass 81.7g is moving in a circular path of radius 0.65m. If we calculate the centrifugal force on it to have a magnitude of 0.35N, what is the period of revolution? (2 decimals, UNITS!)(p = 3.14)

2. Homework Equations :
I'm given the following equations:
a = v^2/r
v = Circumference/Period = 2pi/T
a = 4pi^2r/T^2
F = Mg
F = ma
3. The Attempt at a Solution :
I took .35 = mv^2/r so .35 = 81.7v^2/.65 so v = .5276
then I took T = 2pir/v so T = 2pi(.65)/.5276 so T =7.736

I got this wrong when I entered it. I may have rounded wrong at the end or didn't do it right in the first place Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The supplied mass is in grams.

so I would divide the mass by 1000 then do what i did?

Seems that way. Always take note of the units in questions and remember that standard formula are for SI units.

Yes. The S.I. unit of mass is kilograms.

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and direction throughout its motion.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion is that in uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the circular path.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is always perpendicular to the direction of motion and its magnitude is equal to the product of the mass of the object and the square of its speed divided by the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are always perpendicular to each other. This means that the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the product of the square of its speed and the inverse of the radius of the circular path.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion have a changing speed?

No, an object in uniform circular motion cannot have a changing speed. This is because in uniform circular motion, the object is moving at a constant speed, and any change in speed would result in non-uniform circular motion.