The Importance of Understanding Different Formulas in Uniform Circular Motion

In summary: The formula applies but the solution is cast in terms of angle ##\beta## instead of the speed. That's because you need to measure both ##R## and ##v## to find the period. It is more practical to find the period by measuring angle ##\beta## and the unchanging length ##L##..How do you know? What is ##v## in your estimation? Note that it depends on ##\beta##. For example, if ##\beta=0## then ##v=0## because the conical pendulum will be hanging vertically. Can you relate ##v## to ##\beta##? Replacing ##v## and ##R## with
paprika213
https://i.imgur.com/4nynNBg.png

I cannot understand for the life of me why this problem doesn't just use T = 2πr/v to solve for the period to get T = 2π(Lsinβ)/v. Instead, it rearranges the formula for a(rad) = (4π^2R)/T^2 to solve for T, and arrives at a totally different answer, T = 2π√(Lcosβ/g).

So why doesn't the formula T = 2πr/v apply in this case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
paprika213 said:

I cannot understand for the life of me why this problem doesn't just use T = 2πr/v to solve for the period to get T = 2π(Lsinβ)/v. Instead, it rearranges the formula for a(rad) = (4π^2R)/T^2 to solve for T, and arrives at a totally different answer, T = 2π√(Lcosβ/g).

The formula applies but the solution is cast in terms of angle ##\beta## instead of the speed. That's because you need to measure both ##R## and ##v## to find the period. It is more practical to find the period by measuring angle ##\beta## and the unchanging length ##L##..

kuruman said:
The formula applies but the solution is cast in terms of angle ##\beta## instead of the speed. That's because you need to measure both ##R## and ##v## to find the period. It is more practical to find the period by measuring angle ##\beta## and the unchanging length ##L##..
Thank you, but it still doesn't seem like T = 2π(Lsinβ)/v and T = 2π√(Lcosβ/g) would equate. It seems like they would give different values for the period

paprika213 said:
Thank you, but it still doesn't seem like T = 2π(Lsinβ)/v and T = 2π√(Lcosβ/g) would equate. It seems like they would give different values for the period
How do you know? What is ##v## in your estimation? Note that it depends on ##\beta##. For example, if ##\beta=0## then ##v=0## because the conical pendulum will be hanging vertically. Can you relate ##v## to ##\beta##? Replacing ##v## and ##R## with expressions that depend on ##\beta## in ##T=\frac{2\pi R}{v}## should convince you that the two ways of writing the period are equivalent.

paprika213 said:

Hello @paprika213 .
:welcome:
You should use the upload button to upload any image you refer to on this forum.
Uniform Circ Mo 4nynNBg.png

Attachments

• Uniform Circ Mo 4nynNBg.png
    Uniform Circ Mo 4nynNBg.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 260

Related to The Importance of Understanding Different Formulas in Uniform Circular Motion

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. It is characterized by a constant magnitude of velocity, but a continuously changing direction.

Why is it important to understand different formulas in uniform circular motion?

Understanding the different formulas in uniform circular motion allows us to accurately calculate various parameters such as speed, acceleration, and centripetal force. This knowledge is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and aviation.

What are some common formulas used in uniform circular motion?

Some common formulas used in uniform circular motion include centripetal acceleration (a = v^2/r), centripetal force (F = mv^2/r), angular velocity (ω = Δθ/Δt), and tangential velocity (v = ωr).

How do these formulas differ from those used in linear motion?

The main difference between the formulas used in uniform circular motion and linear motion is that the former involves angular quantities, such as angular velocity and centripetal acceleration, while the latter involves linear quantities, such as velocity and acceleration. Additionally, the direction of acceleration in circular motion is always towards the center of the circle, while in linear motion it can be in any direction.

What are some real-world examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion in real life include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the motion of an electron around the nucleus of an atom. In sports, the motion of a ball spinning in a circular path, such as a basketball or a tennis ball, is also an example of uniform circular motion.