Uniform distribution on the n-sphere.

In summary, a uniform distribution on the n-sphere is a statistical distribution where all points on a n-dimensional sphere have an equal probability of being chosen. This distribution is important in multiple fields of science, such as physics and mathematics, for modeling phenomena on a spherical surface. It is calculated by dividing the sphere's surface area by the total number of points and has a different distribution than a normal distribution. This distribution has various real-world applications, including computer graphics, astronomy, and physics.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Hi, I have the next RV:

$$\underline{W}=\frac{\underline{X}}{\frac{||\underline{X}||}{\sqrt{n}}}$$
where $$X_i \tilde \ N(0,1)$$
It's a random vector, and I want to show that it has a uniform distribution on the n-sphere with radius $$\sqrt{n}$$.

I understand that it has this radius, just calculate it. But I don't understand from calculating the CDF how to I arrive at uniform distribution.

Thanks in advance, MP.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to convert to n dimensional spherical coordinates. The "area" distribution should be uniform.

What is a uniform distribution on the n-sphere?

A uniform distribution on the n-sphere is a statistical distribution in which all points on the n-dimensional sphere have an equal probability of being chosen. This means that the points are distributed uniformly and evenly across the surface of the sphere.

Why is the uniform distribution on the n-sphere important?

The uniform distribution on the n-sphere is important in many fields of science, including physics, mathematics, and statistics. It is used to model phenomena that occur on a spherical surface, such as the distribution of stars in a galaxy or the behavior of particles in a gas.

How is the uniform distribution on the n-sphere calculated?

The uniform distribution on the n-sphere is calculated by dividing the surface area of the sphere by the total number of points on the sphere. This gives the probability of each point being chosen.

What is the difference between a uniform distribution on the n-sphere and a normal distribution?

A uniform distribution on the n-sphere is different from a normal distribution in that it is not centered around a mean value. Instead, all points on the sphere have an equal probability of being chosen, whereas a normal distribution has a higher probability for points closer to the mean.

How is the uniform distribution on the n-sphere used in real-world applications?

The uniform distribution on the n-sphere has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, where it is used to generate random points on a sphere for creating 3D models. It is also used in astronomy to model the distribution of celestial objects, and in physics to study the behavior of particles on a spherical surface.