Uniform E field for spherical shell.

In summary, we have a nonconducting spherical shell with a positive volume charge density and a small central charge. To have a uniform electric field within the shell, the constant A must have a value such that the derivative of the electric field expression with respect to r is equal to zero. This can be achieved by integrating to find the total charge and then using Gauss' law.
GwtBc

Homework Statement

In the figure a nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius a = 2.07 cm and outer radius b = 2.51 cm has (within its thickness) a positive volume charge density ρ = A/r, where A is a constant and r is the distance from the center of the shell. In addition, a small ball of charge q = 45.8 fC is located at that center. What value should A have if the electric field in the shell (arb) is to be uniform?

Homework Equations

## \phi = \frac{q}{\epsilon_{0}} = \oint E \cdot dA ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the electric field due to the central charge and ρV at a radius between r (arb), added these together (superposition) and then derived with respect to r, hoping to set the derivative to zero to find my answer, but I got ## \frac{Aa^3}{r^4}- \frac{q}{2\pi r^3} ## as my expression for the derivative, (disregarding epsilon naught, the constant) and obviously I can't set this to zero and disregard r. Not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I can't use Gauss' law without integration cause charge density isn't constant, have to integrate to find charge first. So derp, I got it now.

1. What is a "Uniform E field for spherical shell"?

A "Uniform E field for spherical shell" refers to an electric field that is constant and the same at every point on the surface of a spherical shell. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a Uniform E field for spherical shell created?

A Uniform E field for spherical shell is typically created by placing a point charge at the center of the spherical shell. The electric field lines radiate outward from the point charge and are perpendicular to the surface of the spherical shell, creating a uniform electric field on the surface.

3. What are the properties of a Uniform E field for spherical shell?

The properties of a Uniform E field for spherical shell include:

• Uniform strength: the electric field is the same at every point on the surface of the spherical shell
  • Radial direction: the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface and point away from the center of the spherical shell
  • Spherical symmetry: the electric field is the same in all directions on the surface of the spherical shell

4. What is the relationship between the electric field and the distance from the center of the spherical shell?

In a Uniform E field for spherical shell, the electric field strength is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the spherical shell. This means that the electric field decreases as the distance from the center increases, following an inverse square law.

5. How does the electric field inside the spherical shell differ from the electric field outside?

Inside a spherical shell, the electric field is zero because the electric field lines cancel out due to the symmetry of the shell. Outside the shell, the electric field follows the same properties as a Uniform E field for spherical shell, with the strength being directly proportional to the distance from the center.