Strategies for Solving Uniform Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to solve a problem involving a hiking trip to Lake Tenkiller. The problem involves finding the hiking time and distance, given the average speeds for hiking and a ride back home. The conversation suggests using a table to organize the information, leading to the same algebraic equation but with a clearer approach.
Amano

Homework Statement

The member of a girls club hiked to lake tenkiller at 2 mph. Then they got a ride back home at 12 mph. Find their hiking time if it was 5 hours longer than their riding time. How far was it to the lake?

Now I know this is a simple question. Very easy. But the reason I write this one out is not for help. But I want better knowledge on better was to do this question.

2.Relevant equations

Can't add anything here I don't think.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to know how many ways I can do this question. I know there is one with graphs that you can do to answer this question. Are there others?

The way I have been taught to do this question by my textbook is this way.

Dh Dh=Dr RhTh= RrTr
-------->
Dr
<------- Rh=2 Rr=12 Th=Tr+5

2[Tr+5]= 12Tr

2Tr+10 = 12Tr
10 = 10Tr
Tr = 1

Th= Tr+5
Th= 6hr

Thus the distance will = 12 miles when 6 is multiplied by the 2.

Now that is the way I have been doing it. My only trouble is that I dont' see there is any reason to do so much algebra. so when I skimp of some of the writing like this.

2T+10 = 12T And I find this work quite well. But I find that you can get easily confused at times depending on what is going on, with the question and it's wording.

So what would some of you guys do?

Cheers,
Amano

p.s sorry if I post this in the wrong place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

These problems can also be done by making a table:

Code:
                  Distance     Avg speed     Time
Up Mountain                        2          t+5
Ride home                         12          t
Total trip     ***not relevant***

Then you can use the relation
Distance = Speed × Time​
and go from there.

You get the same algebraic equation, but often the table helps to organize things better. Especially in problems where the combined total trip comes into play, though it didn't this time.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. It looks much better than the [to me clumsy.] way I was setting them out.

Cheers for your help.

Amano

1. What is uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to the movement of an object at a constant speed in a straight line. This means that the object covers equal distances in equal amounts of time.

2. How do you calculate speed in a uniform motion problem?

To calculate speed in a uniform motion problem, you divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a uniform motion problem?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In a uniform motion problem, speed is constant, but velocity can change if the object changes direction.

4. How do you solve for distance in a uniform motion problem?

To solve for distance in a uniform motion problem, you multiply the speed by the time. The formula for distance is: distance = speed x time.

5. Can objects in real life move with perfect uniform motion?

No, it is not possible for objects in real life to have perfect uniform motion. This is because there are always outside forces, such as friction and air resistance, that can affect an object's speed and direction, making it difficult to maintain a constant speed and direction over time.