Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform pdf from difference of two stochastic variables?

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a probability distribution (D) with the following property:
    Given two independent stochastic variables X1 and X2 from the distribution D, I want the difference Y=X1-X2 to have a uniform distribution (one the interval [0,1], say).

I don't seem to be able to solve it. I'm not even sure that such a distribution exists...

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sugestion (outline). For simplicity I will make it uniform on the interval (-1/2,1/2). The characteristic function is sin(t/2)/(t/2). Take the square root and then the inverse Fourier transform should give you something close to what you want (the sum of two random variables will have a uniform distribution).

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    Yes, that's one of the things I already tried. The problem is that I didn't manage to calculate that inverse Fourier transform. I tried it with Mathematica, which could not find an analytical solution. I also tried the numerical inverse Fourier transform in Mathematica but it also failed. Maybe it means that this distribution doesn't exist?

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess: there is no density function. You might try getting the distribution function.

F(y) - F(x) = 1/2π ∫{(exp(ity) - exp(itx))φ(t)/(it)}dt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

http://mathforum.org/kb/forumcategory.jspa?categoryID=16

You might try the above forum - it is more mathematical.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook