Uniform rod pivoting and block/mass energy problem

In summary, a uniform rod of mass m and length l is pivoted at a point on the ground and pushed with negligible force, causing it to rotate and move a block of mass M on a horizontal surface. The rod loses contact with the block at θ = 30° with horizontal. By conserving energy and finding a relation of w² = -(alpha)(tantheta), it is determined that M/m = 4/3. However, this calculation assumes that alpha (angular acceleration) is negative, which is not correct as the angle to the horizontal decreases at an increasing rate, resulting in negative first and second derivatives.
Alcatrez
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
A uniform rod of mass m and length l is pivoted at a point on the ground. The rod is initially in vertical position and touching a block of mass M which is at rest on a horizontal surface. The rod is given a push of negligible force and it starts rotating about that point. This causes the block to move forward. The rod loses contact with the block at θ = 30° with horizontal. All surfaces are smooth.
Find M/m

I have conserved the energy, found a relation of

w² = -(alpha)(tantheta)

by considering x=Lcostheta and double differentiating to get a.

I am getting a correct ans of 4/3 but i had considered alpha (ang acc) to be negative which isn't correct, right?

What's wrong with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alcatrez said:
had considered alpha (ang acc) to be negative which isn't correct, right?
Assuming you are referring to the angle to the horizontal, that angle will decrease at an increasing rate, so both its first and second derivatives will be negative.
Have I understood your question?

haruspex said:
Assuming you are referring to the angle to the horizontal, that angle will decrease at an increasing rate, so both its first and second derivatives will be negative.
Have I understood your question?
Yes. That's exactly what i meant.

1. What is a uniform rod pivoting and block/mass energy problem?

A uniform rod pivoting and block/mass energy problem is a physics problem that involves the motion and energy of a uniform rod that is pivoting around a fixed point, while a block or mass is attached to the rod and moving along with it.

2. How is the energy of the system calculated?

The energy of the system is calculated by considering the potential energy and kinetic energy of the rod and the block/mass. The potential energy is determined by the height of the block/mass above the ground, while the kinetic energy is determined by the velocity of the block/mass.

3. What are the key principles involved in solving these types of problems?

The key principles involved in solving these problems are conservation of energy, conservation of angular momentum, and the equations of motion for rotational and translational motion. These principles can be used to set up and solve equations to determine the final state of the system.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving these problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving these problems include not considering all forms of energy (such as rotational energy), not correctly setting up the equations of motion, and not properly applying the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum.

5. How can these types of problems be applied in real-world situations?

Uniform rod pivoting and block/mass energy problems are commonly used to analyze the motion and energy of various systems, such as pendulums, seesaws, and simple machines. They can also be applied in engineering and design to optimize the performance of structures and machines.