1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unintegrateable fn.[s]

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Consider

[tex]\int e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

if that can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions, how did they compute

[tex] \int ^{\infty} _{- \infty} e^{-x^2} dx =\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

(I think I have the limits wrong, but I know it has [itex]\infty[/itex] as the upper or lower limit)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    well, one way of doing so is i guess expanding [tex] e^{-x^{2}}[/tex] as a power series, using taylor series. But i also think one can compute it using double integrals. I have just heard about this though, since i have no idea how to deal with double integrals yet!

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    [tex] I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
    [tex] I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2} dx\times \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2}dy[/tex]

[tex] I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy[/tex]
    [tex] I^2 = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(r^2)}rdrd\theta[/tex]
    [tex] I^2 = \pi - \pi e^{-\infty}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. Feb 26, 2008 #4
    THis looks cute, although i do not understand a damn thing what u did! I mean i haven't yet dealt with double integrals!

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is the Gaussian integral. The wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral" [Broken]) on this integral goes over the derivation of this integral and does a rigorous job (check out the "careful" proof of the identity).

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  7. Feb 26, 2008 #6
    EDIT: Note: Read the article D H posted, and not the gibberish below.

Honestly, I can't believe I remembered how to do it. I've seen it a couple of times in class. To me it is, a trick.

But here's the jist of it. That x^2 looks like a beast, and integrating from -infinity to infinity seems like a problem.

We know that if we multiply two exponentials e^u*e^y we get e^(u+y). So when we multiply the two integrals together and get x^2+y^2 this should be screaming, convert me into polar coordinates.

So we multiply the two integrals together, and convert the x^2+y^2 into r^2.

First though, why is that even possible? Well remember that when you integrate with "numbers" you get a number. What I mean by this is the following.

If we integrate [tex] \int_0^1 x dx [/tex] we get a number right? What about when we integrate [tex] \int_0^u x dx [/tex]? Well the second case returns a function dependent on [itex] u [/itex].

So in the first case, [tex] \int_0^1 x dx [/tex], why not just call this a number, how about [itex] I [/itex]. So this makes sense to be able to multiply two numbers together, eg. [itex] I\timesI = \int_0^1 x dx \times \int_0^1 x dx [/tex]. Think about why we can "push" them together.

I think the most interesting part about it, was changing to polar coordinates. The part where we change from sweeping out -infinity to infinity in the x and y direction in rectangular coordinates to sweeping out all values by rotating from 0 to 2pi and extending the "arm" from 0 to infinity.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  8. Feb 26, 2008 #7
    There are other ways to solve the above as well. You will learn these if you take a course in complex variables.

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8
    You will also need Fubini's theorem in order to justify that you may in this case convert the product of two integrals into a double integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook