Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unintelligent design - by viruses

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    Interesting story i read today:

But one thing i dont understand: how does this have anything to do with intelligent design or make it any less likely? Could ID proponents not say the same about viruses as they say about life - that they are too complex to have come about by randomness+natural selection?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2
    Nothing just somthing get people to read there article.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

Viruses are extremely simple chains of DNA and RNA you could probably make a fairly long chain of RNA from base materials.

It doesnt contradict science that's the point.

In my experience intelligent design proponenets will say anything no matter how false or how little it is based on science or anything. Intelligent design is pesudo scientific philosophical claptrap.

If anything this is another nail in the coffin of ID.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    The question is whether nature can make such things through mechanistic processes.
    Even though it is assumed so, assumptions wont convince ID'ers.
    On wikipedia it says:
    What i gathered from the earlier article is that they still have the chicken/egg question of which came first: life or viruses.

6. Feb 23, 2006 #5
    Interesting to be honest I don't think making life in front of their eyes would convince Id'ers but that's beside the point:biggrin:

7. Feb 24, 2006 #6

Mk

I've been thinking viruses were organism number one for a while.

8. Feb 24, 2006 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose the article's implication is "look, here's another transitional form" (something creationists say there are none of).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?