Unique Dice Throwing Probability Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability question involving a weighted dice and the chances of throwing different numbers. The approach taken involves assuming all numbers except 6 have equal chances and using basic calculations to find the probabilities of throwing a 6, 3, and at least a 3. The conversation also addresses the need for clearer wording and more specific information in the question.
JoshP-hillips
G'day,

I've recently been given a probability question to solve and I'm not 100% on my approach towards it.
It goes as follows;

A dice is found to be weighted so that the chance of throwing a 6 is four times the chance of throwing a 1. Chances of throwing numbers other than 6 are equally likely.

a) What is the probability of throwing a 6?
b) What is the probability of throwing a 3?
c) What is the probability of throwing at least a 3?For my approach I'm basically assuming the chance of throwing anything except a six is 1/6, which means the chance of throwing a 6 if 4/6.
So that answers part a) and b), although I feel that the answer is to simple.
And then to answer part c) I just multiply the chances of throwing a 3, 4, 5, 6 independently, and then sum those probabilities. .

Any comments on this approach or help with the question would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JoshP-hillips said:
G'day,

I've recently been given a probability question to solve and I'm not 100% on my approach towards it.
It goes as follows;

A dice is found to be weighted so that the chance of throwing a 6 is four times the chance of throwing a 1. Chances of throwing numbers other than 6 are equally likely.

a) What is the probability of throwing a 6?
b) What is the probability of throwing a 3?
c) What is the probability of throwing at least a 3?For my approach I'm basically assuming the chance of throwing anything except a six is 1/6, which means the chance of throwing a 6 if 4/6.
So that answers part a) and b), although I feel that the answer is to simple.
And then to answer part c) I just multiply the chances of throwing a 1, 2, 3 and then sum those probabilities. .

Any comments on this approach or help with the question would be greatly appreciated.

What should the sum of the probabilities of all of the possible outcomes be? Is that true in your model?

Well initially I thought the probability would be (1/6)*5 + (4/6) => 9/6

The 1/6 being the chance of rolling a 1-5
The 4/6 being the chance of rolling a 6 (It being 4 times more likely)

But then I came up with a more logical answer;

Probability of rolling a 1-5
x = P(D1-5)

Probability of rolling a 6
4x = P(D6)

BUT => P(D1-5) + P(D6) =1

Therefore;
x + 4x = 1
5x = 1
x = 1/5

So we end up with

P(D1-5) = 1/5
P(D6) = 4/5

So my new answers are
part a) (4/5)
part b) (1/5)

For part c) I've come up with

P(D1-2) = 1/5*2
P(D3-5) = 1/5*3
P(D6) = 4/5

P(at least a 3) = P(D3-5) + P(D6) - P(D1-2)
P(D>=3) = 3/5 + 4/5 - 2/5 = 1

I am on the right track with this?

Last edited:
"A dice is found to be weighted so that the chance of throwing a 6 is four times the chance of throwing a 1. Chances of throwing numbers other than 6 are equally likely."

Your question isn't clearly written. There are two ways to interpret these parts.
a) If p1 = a, then p6 = 4a. If the chances of throwing numbers other than 6 are equally likely is taken directly, this means that also p2 = p3 = p4 = p5 = a as well. If this is true, then it is very easy to find a.

b) If p1 = a, then p6 = 4a. If the second statement applies only the the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, then all you have from that is that p2 = p3 = p4 = p5 = b, and you don't have enough information to find both a and b.

I will guess you mean the first situation, but you need to be clear about it.

What should ##P(D_6)## be in terms of ##P(D_1)## ?

What should ##P(D_2)## be in terms of ##P(D_1)## ?

What should ##P(D_1)+P(D_2)+P(D_3)+P(D_4)+P(D_5)+P(D_6)## be?

1. What is a unique dice throwing probability question?

A unique dice throwing probability question is a problem that involves determining the likelihood of a specific outcome when throwing a set of dice. These types of questions often involve complex scenarios or conditions that make the probability calculation more challenging.

2. How do you calculate the probability of a unique dice throwing question?

The first step in calculating the probability of a unique dice throwing question is to determine the total number of possible outcomes. This can be found by multiplying the number of sides on each dice. Then, you can calculate the number of favorable outcomes (e.g. getting a specific number or combination) and divide it by the total number of outcomes to find the probability.

3. Can unique dice throwing probability questions have more than two dice?

Yes, unique dice throwing probability questions can involve any number of dice. The more dice involved, the more possible outcomes there are, making the probability calculations more complex.

4. Are there any strategies for solving unique dice throwing probability questions?

One strategy for solving unique dice throwing probability questions is to break down the problem into smaller, simpler parts. For example, you can calculate the probability of getting a certain number on one dice before factoring in the other dice. Another strategy is to use a tree diagram to visualize all the possible outcomes and determine the probability from there.

5. Can unique dice throwing probability questions have multiple conditions?

Yes, unique dice throwing probability questions can have multiple conditions, such as rolling a certain number on one dice and a different number on another dice. In these cases, you would need to calculate the probability for each condition separately and then multiply them together to find the overall probability.