Unique existence quantifier equivalent to what?

In summary: thanks for clarifying! ohh ok, so that's why you put the extra brackets around my statement,...thanks for clarifying!
Aziza
According to my book,
[itex](\exists!x)P(x)[/itex] is equivalent to [itex](\exists x)P(x)\wedge(\forall y)(\forall z)[P(y)\wedge P(z)\Rightarrow y=z][/itex]

But I don't see why the variable z is necessary. Wouldn't the following also be correct but shorter and easier to understand:

[itex](\exists x)P(x)\wedge(\forall y)(P(y)\Rightarrow y=x)[/itex]

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Aziza said:
According to my book,
[itex](\exists!x)P(x)[/itex] is equivalent to [itex](\exists x)P(x)\wedge(\forall y)(\forall z)[P(y)\wedge P(z)\Rightarrow y=z][/itex]

But I don't see why the variable z is necessary. Wouldn't the following also be correct but shorter and easier to understand:

??

I don't know how the book's notation indicates the scope of quantifiers. Your way requires that [itex] \exists x [/itex] has a longer scope than the book's way:

[itex] (\exists x)\{ P(x) \wedge (\forall y)\{ P(y) \Rightarrow y = x) \} \} [/itex]

Your way is also equivalent to unique existence. The book's way is how unique existence is often proven in mathematical systems. For example, to prove the identity element of a Group is unique, one argues that, by definition of a Group, an identity element of the Group exists. Then one shows that if two elements of the Group are both identity elements then they are equal to each other.

Aziza said:
According to my book,

??

Because you statement says: for all y, if y is Jack, then Jack is Jill, whereas the correct statement says for all y and for all z, if y is Jack and z is Jack then Jack is Jack.

xxxx0xxxx said:
Because you statement says: for all y, if y is Jack, then Jack is Jill, whereas the correct statement says for all y and for all z, if y is Jack and z is Jack then Jack is Jack.

His statement is perfectly fine. The two statements in the OP are equivalent. He only nees to be careful about the scope of the quantifiers.

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't know how the book's notation indicates the scope of quantifiers. Your way requires that [itex] \exists x [/itex] has a longer scope than the book's way:

[itex] (\exists x)\{ P(x) \wedge (\forall y)\{ P(y) \Rightarrow y = x) \} \} [/itex]

Your way is also equivalent to unique existence. The book's way is how unique existence is often proven in mathematical systems. For example, to prove the identity element of a Group is unique, one argues that, by definition of a Group, an identity element of the Group exists. Then one shows that if two elements of the Group are both identity elements then they are equal to each other.

What does it mean that it has a longer scope? My book didn't talk about scope so far

Aziza said:
What does it mean that it has a longer scope? My book didn't talk about scope so far

A variable such as "x" may mean one thing on one page of a math book or in one function of a computer program and it may mean something entirely different on another page or in another funciton. The "scope" of a quantifier of such as [itex] \exists x [/itex] is, roughtly speaking, the expressions where the 'x' referred to by that quantifier stands for the same thing.

For example, the statement

Everyone is mortal and there exists a person who is happy

could be symbolized as

[itex]\{(\forall x)M(x)\} \wedge \{(\exists x) H(x)\} [/itex]

The 'x' in the left hand side of the wedge means something different than the 'x' on the right hand side of the wedge. The "scope" of the [itex] \forall x [/itex] only includes [itex] M(x) [/itex],

Stephen Tashi said:
A variable such as "x" may mean one thing on one page of a math book or in one function of a computer program and it may mean something entirely different on another page or in another funciton. The "scope" of a quantifier of such as [itex] \exists x [/itex] is, roughtly speaking, the expressions where the 'x' referred to by that quantifier stands for the same thing.

For example, the statement

Everyone is mortal and there exists a person who is happy

could be symbolized as

[itex]\{(\forall x)M(x)\} \wedge \{(\exists x) H(x)\} [/itex]

The 'x' in the left hand side of the wedge means something different than the 'x' on the right hand side of the wedge. The "scope" of the [itex] \forall x [/itex] only includes [itex] M(x) [/itex],

ohh ok, so that's why you put the extra brackets around my statement, thanks!

1. What is a unique existence quantifier?

A unique existence quantifier is a logical symbol used in mathematical and scientific fields to indicate that there exists exactly one object that satisfies a given condition. It is represented by the symbol ∃! and is read as "there exists a unique."

2. How is a unique existence quantifier used in mathematics?

In mathematics, a unique existence quantifier is used to make statements about the existence and uniqueness of mathematical objects. It is often used in theorems and proofs to show that there exists only one solution to a given problem.

3. Is the unique existence quantifier equivalent to the existential quantifier (∃)?

No, the unique existence quantifier (∃!) is not equivalent to the existential quantifier (∃). While both symbols indicate the existence of an object, the unique existence quantifier specifies that there is only one object that satisfies the given condition, whereas the existential quantifier does not make this distinction.

4. Can the unique existence quantifier be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the unique existence quantifier can be used in any field that deals with logical statements and the existence of objects. It is commonly used in computer science, philosophy, and linguistics, among others.

5. How does the unique existence quantifier differ from the universal quantifier (∀)?

The unique existence quantifier (∃!) and the universal quantifier (∀) have opposite meanings. While the unique existence quantifier indicates that there exists exactly one object that satisfies a given condition, the universal quantifier indicates that all objects satisfy the given condition.