Uniqueness of magnetic vector potential

In summary, the magnetic vector potential for a magnetic field is not uniquely determined, as there are an infinite number of equivalent vector potentials for a given field. This is due to the fact that any scalar field can be added to the original potential without changing the resulting magnetic field. Therefore, the uniqueness of the magnetic field is also not guaranteed, as different scalar fields can be chosen for the same vector potential.
fricke
I able to prove magnetic field is uniquely determined but I am confused how to prove that magnetic vector potential is also unique.

Can I say that magnetic vector potential is uniquely determined since magnetic field has unique solution?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any magnetic field ## \vec B ##, there are an infinite number of equivalent magnetic vector potentials##\vec A##(##\vec B=\vec \nabla\times\vec A ##), related by ## \vec {A'}=\vec A+\vec \nabla \phi ## for some scalar field ## \phi ##. So the magnetic vector potential of a magnetic field is not uniquely determined.

Shyan said:
For any magnetic field ## \vec B ##, there are an infinite number of equivalent magnetic vector potentials##\vec A##(##\vec B=\vec \nabla\times\vec A ##), related by ## \vec {A'}=\vec A+\vec \nabla \phi ## for some scalar field ## \phi ##. So the magnetic vector potential of a magnetic field is not uniquely determined.

thank you very much for the reply!
As what you have explained, magnetic vector potential is not uniquely determined since there are an infinite number of equivalent vector potential A, for magnetic field B. But does it mean B also not uniquely determined since we could choose any scalar field of A?

fricke said:
thank you very much for the reply!
As what you have explained, magnetic vector potential is not uniquely determined since there are an infinite number of equivalent vector potential A, for magnetic field B. But does it mean B also not uniquely determined since we could choose any scalar field of A?
As I said, all those infinite number of vector potentials are equivalent, which means they all give the same magnetic field. That's because ## \vec \nabla \times \vec \nabla \phi=0 ## for any scalar field ## \phi ##. So ## \vec{A'}=\vec A+\vec\nabla \phi \Rightarrow \vec\nabla\times\vec {A'}=\vec\nabla\times\vec A ##.

Shyan said:
As I said, all those infinite number of vector potentials are equivalent, which means they all give the same magnetic field. That's because ## \vec \nabla \times \vec \nabla \phi=0 ## for any scalar field ## \phi ##. So ## \vec{A'}=\vec A+\vec\nabla \phi \Rightarrow \vec\nabla\times\vec {A'}=\vec\nabla\times\vec A ##.

thank you very much! I understand now! thank you.

1. What is the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is a mathematical quantity used to describe the magnetic field in a given region of space. It is a vector quantity and is denoted by the symbol A.

2. How is the magnetic vector potential different from the magnetic field?

The magnetic vector potential is a mathematical construct used to describe the magnetic field, while the magnetic field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a moving charge in the presence of a magnetic field.

3. Why is the magnetic vector potential considered unique?

The magnetic vector potential is considered unique because it is not uniquely determined by the magnetic field. Different choices of the vector potential can lead to the same magnetic field, making it a non-unique quantity.

4. How is the uniqueness of the magnetic vector potential important in physics?

The uniqueness of the magnetic vector potential is important in physics because it allows for the application of gauge transformations, which can simplify mathematical calculations and provide a better understanding of the underlying physical principles at play.

5. Can the magnetic vector potential be measured directly?

No, the magnetic vector potential cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical construct used to describe the magnetic field and does not have a physical existence on its own.