Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit of Four Dimensional Space Measurement?

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    I have been wondering what type of measurement is used to measure the space inside of a four dimensional (space, not time) object. For example, a one dimensional line's distance gets measured, a two dimensional object's area gets measured, and a three dimensional object's volume gets measured, but what type of unit do four dimensional objects get? I am not looking for a specific measurement, such as inches, liters, or square centimeters. What is the category that four dimensional measurements fall under? I have looked all over the internet, but could not find an answer, so I decided Physics Forums looked like a good place to ask.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Four dimensional Lebesgue measure.

It might also be called hypervolume.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    I was going to go with "hypervolume".
    You gotta realize that at some point you will run out of special words for the measure - what if you have 23 space dimensions? Now what do you call it?

Technically the dimensions can have any units though ... so the area of the 2D shape on a v-t graph is a displacement. The meaning of the object, in physics, depends on what it is modelling.

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the notion of volume generalizes to higher dimensions in exactly the same way that area extends length and 3 dimensional volume extends area.

I found it instructive to realize that the Pythagorean theorem works in three dimensions exactly as in two. The same applies in four or more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook