Universal gravitation 2- determine the planet's orbital period

In summary, the problem involves determining a planet's orbital period using the given mean distance from the sun and information from a textbook. The equations used are R=h+Rs and T=2∏√(R3/GxMs), with values for Rs=6.96x108m, ms=1.99x1030kg, and h=2x1011m. The calculated value for R is 2.007x1011m, and solving for T gives a value of 49034131.61. The correct units for T cannot be determined without further clarification on the meaning of the given values.
dani123

Homework Statement

A planet's mean distance from the sun is 2.00x10^11 m. Determine the planet's orbital period. Use information found in textbook.

Homework Equations

So I use the following equations:

R=h+Rs

T=2∏√(R3/GxMs)

From the textbook I got the following values:

Rs=6.96x108m
ms=1.99x1030kg

The Attempt at a Solution

From the problem we also know that h=2x1011m

So with that and the radius of the sun we are able to find the radius that will be used in the orbital period equation. R=(6.96x108m)+(2x1011m)=2.007x1011m

with all these values we plug them into the orbital period equation and solve for T=49034131.61

I don't know how to get the units for the period however... If someone could tell me if my calculations are correct and how I find these units that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance for your time and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you just wrote numerical values for "R", "Rs", h, and "Ms" without saying what any of those mean I don't see how anyone can determine what you are doing much less what the units should be.

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a fundamental physical law proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It states that any two objects in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does universal gravitation affect the motion of planets?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the motion of planets around the sun. The gravitational force between the sun and the planets keeps them in their respective orbits. The strength of this force is determined by the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is the formula for calculating the orbital period of a planet?

The formula for calculating the orbital period of a planet (T) is T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where a is the semi-major axis of the planet's orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central object (e.g. the sun).

4. How can the orbital period of a planet be determined?

The orbital period of a planet can be determined by using the formula T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where a and M are known values. The semi-major axis (a) can be measured using observations and the mass (M) of the central object can be calculated using the gravitational force and the distance between the planet and the central object.

5. How does the orbital period of a planet change with its distance from the sun?

According to the formula T = 2π√(a^3/GM), the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the distance (a) between the planet and the sun. This means that the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer its orbital period will be. This relationship is known as Kepler's third law of planetary motion.