1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal gravitation 2- determine the planet's orbital period

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A planet's mean distance from the sun is 2.00x10^11 m. Determine the planet's orbital period. Use information found in textbook.

2. Relevant equations
    So I use the following equations:

R=h+Rs

T=2∏√(R3/GxMs)

From the textbook I got the following values:

Rs=6.96x108m
    ms=1.99x1030kg

3. The attempt at a solution

From the problem we also know that h=2x1011m

So with that and the radius of the sun we are able to find the radius that will be used in the orbital period equation. R=(6.96x108m)+(2x1011m)=2.007x1011m

with all these values we plug them into the orbital period equation and solve for T=49034131.61

I don't know how to get the units for the period however... If someone could tell me if my calculations are correct and how I find these units that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance for your time and help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you just wrote numerical values for "R", "Rs", h, and "Ms" without saying what any of those mean I don't see how anyone can determine what you are doing much less what the units should be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook