Universities offering PhD. in Midwifery in the US?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter noman.rasheed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phd Universities
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
noman.rasheed
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Hello,

My friend is looking for universities offering Phd. in Midwifery. Can you people share some universities if you guys know?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Have you tried googling Phd. in Midwifery? I seem to get some good hits... :smile:

I did. All Google showed me were universities in UK and Canada, and not in the US.
 
berkeman said:
Well, adding in US to the Google search does seem to produce some hits, like this:

http://www.philau.edu/midwifery/Dawley.html

Is that the kind of program your friend is looking for?

For your kind information, this institute offer Post Master certificate and not PhD. I had already checked this institute before making this thread.
 
Okay, but what is your friend's goal? Why does she or he want a PhD in midwifery?

The reason I ask is because midwifery is a profession and not so much an academic subject itself. The PhD is generally an advanced degree for the purposes of conducting research in a specific field. That's not to say that one can't do a PhD in midwifery. I'm sure there's a program out there that provides it. But if your friend is a qualified midwife and wants to get into the research side of things there are other tangential areas that might provide the desired training or opportunity. Consider for example PhD programs in nursing or public health. These would likely be a lot more common and could easily have midwifery-related research.
 
Choppy said:
Okay, but what is your friend's goal? Why does she or he want a PhD in midwifery?

The reason I ask is because midwifery is a profession and not so much an academic subject itself. The PhD is generally an advanced degree for the purposes of conducting research in a specific field. That's not to say that one can't do a PhD in midwifery. I'm sure there's a program out there that provides it. But if your friend is a qualified midwife and wants to get into the research side of things there are other tangential areas that might provide the desired training or opportunity. Consider for example PhD programs in nursing or public health. These would likely be a lot more common and could easily have midwifery-related research.
Hmm... this makes some sense now. Thank you!

Actually, my friend is around 41 and has 16 years of experience.