1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

University advice for mechanical engineering?

1. Sep 24, 2016 #1
    Hello PF.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum board, I thought this post would be relevant since it has to do with MechEng. Feel free to move the thread to the correct spot if it is in the inappropriate section. Anyways, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Basically, I have an unconditional offer at Oxford Brookes in the UK to study Mechanical Engineering next year. The best thing about it is that it is FAFSA approved and it has a decent reputation. My parents do not want me to go because they believe I did not 'earn' going there. I graduated with a 30 points in the IB, which I could have done better but anyways, they do not believe I should go because not only is it fairly pricey for international students but they don't think I'll do well. I say it's well worth the risk since I am passionate about physics and math but they don't think I'm dedicated enough. My only other option is to go to a community college since it's inexpensive. The University in the UK is still cheaper than out of state colleges and some in state colleges. I've done a ton of research on this and I feel like it's a good place to go. In the mean time i'll take physics classes at CC then go there next year. Should I just continue at CC or should I go to the UK and study somewhere different? Any advice is appreciated, thanks :)

Sincerely,
    Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not familiar with Oxford Brooke's but...

If you are planning do do another year before going I would use the time to look at other universities as well. There are plenty in the UK with good reputations in Mechanical Engineering. Keep you options open as long as possible.

ME covers quite a wide range of different fields and I would look at the final year optional subjects to see if they include those you are interested in. I chose my university (Southampton) for this reason.

Oxford is a very nice place but likely to be a relatively expensive place to live so perhaps check out accommodation costs. Universities further north might have more/cheaper accommodation.

Check out the Student Loan scheme. I don't know if it is available to international students but for English students it provides a loan at low interest rates and no repayments until you are earning above a certain level. This is probably the cheapest way to borrow money for tuition fees etc.

Only you know if you are dedicated enough to study. There will be distractions at all universities so that's not a reason to choose one over the other.

Lots of people end up with degrees but not so many have the confidence or opportunity to study abroad and experience different cultures. That alone would add to your CV potentially make you more employable.

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PS Before accepting OB check if you are committing to any fees just in case you find another place you prefer and decide to go there instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted