What universities for studying Aerospace Engineering in UK?

user079622
I find that Oxford and Cambrige dont have aerospace engineering, only mechanical engineering/pathway aerospace.
What do you think about that or is better to study "pure" aerospace?

What university do you suggest?
Also I checked that subjects are very different at each university.. I checked Southamptone, Bristol, Imperial

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What specialties are you interested in so far in Aerospace Engineering? What magazines/journals in that field do you read regularly?

More importantly, have you done the Google search yet?

1697825974417.png

@berkeman

Yes I do google search, I find Oxford and Cambrige dont have aerospace eng. they have mechanical eng./pathway aerospace. I think this is not ok...
I find Bristol, Southampton, Imperial...now I am checking their subjects..

I have interest in aerodynamics of wind turbine, race car and production cars , sailing AC cup, felxibile aerodynamics, wind tunnels etc I am not interested in aviation.

Likes berkeman
user079622 said:
I have interest in aerodynamics of wind turbine, race car and production cars , sailing AC cup, felxibile aerodynamics, wind tunnels etc I am not interested in aviation.
Thank you, that is good to know. It would seem that with the specialties you listed, finding a university with access to good wind tunnels would be a good thing. Pardon me for posting another Google search (you may have done it already), but it seems helpful:

1697827395186.png

I'll also page @boneh3ad even though I don't think he's in the UK. I believe he has lots of experience with this kind of research and work. :smile:

Likes DeBangis21, WWGD, FactChecker and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Thank you, that is good to know. It would seem that with the specialties you listed, finding a university with access to good wind tunnels would be a good thing. Pardon me for posting another Google search (you may have done it already), but it seems helpful:

View attachment 333914
I'll also page @boneh3ad even though I don't think he's in the UK. I believe he has lots of experience with this kind of research and work. :smile:
I'm not in the UK and I'm primarily a high-speed aerodynamics person. So, while I have a fair bit of familiarity with wind tunnels in Europe, it's mostly the high speed variety that are exclusively aviation.

When I think of schools in the UK that do good fluid dynamics/aerodynamics work, the ones that come to mind off the top of my head are Imperial College, Cambridge, Oxford, Southampton, and Cranfield. That list is by no means exhaustive, I'm sure, and I can't vouch for how much they dabble in the specific topics of interest to @user079622.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
user079622 said:
@berkeman

Yes I do google search, I find Oxford and Cambrige dont have aerospace eng. they have mechanical eng./pathway aerospace. I think this is not ok...
I find Bristol, Southampton, Imperial...now I am checking their subjects..

I'm puzzled. If you're not interested in aviation, why are you so keen on specifically pursuing an aerospace engineering degree?

Likes WWGD and Vanadium 50
CrysPhys said:
I'm puzzled. If you're not interested in aviation, why are you so keen on specifically pursuing an aerospace engineering degree?
All of the topics he mentioned are commonly found in jobs held by aerospace engineers since they all involve external aerodynamics. Doing mechanical engineering with an aerodynamics course as an elective would seemingly be just as good in this case, though.

boneh3ad said:
All of the topics he mentioned are commonly found in jobs held by aerospace engineers since they all involve external aerodynamics. Doing mechanical engineering with an aerodynamics course as an elective would seemingly be just as good in this case, though.
Precisely. But in an aerospace engineering curriculum, those topics would be focused on applications in the aviation field, correct? Whereas, the OP states that, although he is specifically not interested in applications in the aviation field, he is insistent on an aerospace engineering curriculum:

user079622 said:

That's what has me puzzled.

CrysPhys said:
Precisely. But in an aerospace engineering curriculum, those topics would be focused on applications in the aviation field, correct? Whereas, the OP states that, although he is specifically not interested in applications in the aviation field, he is insistent on an aerospace engineering curriculum:
That's what has me puzzled.
And that's fair, but most mechanical curricula don't cover much external flow unless a student takes an aero elective. Which is fine but not obvious to a lot of students.

CrysPhys said:
Because I am not interested at electrics, electronics, machines, engineering laws etc that you have on mech. engineering, indeed this study have very little subjects about aerodynamics..

Here you can compare subjects , at the bottom in pdf
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/aeronautics-astronautics-degree-meng

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/mechanical-engineering-aerospace-engineering-degree-meng

Last edited:

1. What are the top universities for studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK?

According to the QS World University Rankings 2021, the top 5 universities for studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK are:

• University of Cambridge
  • Imperial College London
  • University of Oxford
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Bristol

2. What are the entry requirements for studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK?

The entry requirements for studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK vary depending on the university and program. Generally, most universities require students to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry at the high school level. Additionally, international students may need to provide proof of English language proficiency through standardized tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.

3. Are there any specific scholarships available for studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK?

Yes, there are several scholarships available for students studying Aerospace Engineering in the UK. Some examples include the Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholarship, the Airbus Undergraduate Scholarship, and the Rolls-Royce Undergraduate Scholarship. It is recommended to check with individual universities for more information on available scholarships.

4. What is the duration of an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering in the UK?

The duration of an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering in the UK is typically 3-4 years. Some universities may offer a 4-year program with a year of industrial placement, which can provide valuable work experience.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in Aerospace Engineering from a UK university?

Graduates with a degree in Aerospace Engineering from a UK university have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in areas such as aircraft design, space exploration, defense, and aviation. Some common job titles for Aerospace Engineering graduates include aerospace engineer, aircraft maintenance engineer, and aerospace systems engineer.