University of Toronto - Engineering or Engineering Science?

In summary: If you're someone who likes to relax with math and physics and you're not looking to get too invested in your studies, then go into a regular engineering program. If you're someone who likes to get really deep into theoretical and conceptual understanding of math and physics, then go into Eng Sci.
bublik13
I heard a lot about these two programs and I'm quizzical on which one I should apply to. Can someone give me an overview with pros and cons on the two programs?
I heard EngSci is much harder with the same potential benefits as normal Eng.

All help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
EngSci puts a lot more emphasis on theory, assuming your interests are going to lie more towards Research and Development. Your coursework includes a lot more homework asking you to prove this or that. Your marks have to be a lot higher to get into EngSci than they have to be for the regular engineering program. If you fail out of EngSci, they let you into a regular engineering program. But it doesn't work the other way around: if you fail out of a regular engineering program, they would not let you into EngSci.

If you have the marks to get into EngSci, go for it. You'll find it challenging and very satisfying.
If you are not too keen on math and physics, but just want to build stuff, go into a regular engineering program.

If you have an interest (and I mean LOTS of interest) in theory and learning, then take Eng Sci.

If you just like math and sciences, and you just wish to just get a job (Eng Sci get same jobs as normal Engineering) after graduation, then take the normal engineering route. You won't be missing anything when competing for jobs.

For example, if you know you want to do ECE, don't do the ECE option from Eng Sci... Apparently, ECEs get more technical electives than Eng Scis doing the ECE option

For example, if you know you want to do ECE, don't do the ECE option from Eng Sci... Apparently, ECEs get more technical electives than Eng Scis doing the ECE option

I would like to expand on this point a little bit further. If you know that you really want to do one stream in particular, be it Civil, ECE, Mechanical, Chemical etc. then definitely go straight into those streams. The problem with Engsci is that it covers a broad range of topics, and because of this you don't get the depth you would in the stream devoted to that topic.

For example, if you go into the ECE option through Engsci, you will spend your entire third year just catching up to the students who are in the ECE stream. It won't be until fourth year that you get to specialize in a particular field of ECE. In fact, a couple friends of mine on facebook who are in the third year ECE option were just cursing at the fact that they still had to learn electrical engineering stuff in third year when all they want to do is computer engineering.

There are upsides though too. In second year engsci you get to build a really cool robot, much cooler than anything the ECE stream gets to make in second year (I think).

The nice thing about getting into Engsci is that if you don't like it you can very easily switch into any of the other streams after first or second semester.

The reason I went into engsci (I'm in third year physics option right now) is because it seemed like the hardest math/physics/engineering program in Canada at the time and I wanted to be challenged as much as possible. I also couldn't decide between pure math/physics and engineering so Engineering Science sounded like a good compromise. Oh yea and my cousin was a graduate from the program so that's how I found out about it. For me engsci was an excellent choice and I do not regret it at all.

That said, engsci isn't for everyone and you'll probably find out pretty quickly if you can handle it or not.

I am not an expert in the field of engineering or engineering science, but I can provide some general information and considerations for you to make an informed decision.

The University of Toronto offers both an Engineering program and an Engineering Science program, and both have their own unique strengths and benefits.

The Engineering program is a traditional program that focuses on the practical application of engineering principles in specific areas such as civil, mechanical, electrical, etc. This program may be a better fit for students who have a clear career path in mind and want to gain specialized skills in a particular field of engineering. The curriculum is more structured and may have more hands-on opportunities for students to apply their knowledge.

On the other hand, the Engineering Science program is more interdisciplinary and focuses on the theoretical foundations of engineering. It combines elements of all engineering disciplines and allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that underlie all areas of engineering. This program may be a better fit for students who are interested in research and development or want to pursue graduate studies in engineering.

In terms of difficulty, it is important to note that both programs are rigorous and challenging. However, the Engineering Science program may have a higher workload and require a stronger foundation in math and science. It also offers a wider range of courses and opportunities for students to explore different areas of engineering.

Ultimately, the best program for you will depend on your interests, goals, and strengths. I recommend researching the curriculum, faculty, and opportunities available in both programs to determine which one aligns more with your interests and career aspirations. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni from both programs to gain a better understanding of their experiences.

I hope this overview helps you make an informed decision. Whichever program you choose, I wish you all the best in your academic and career pursuits.

1. What is the difference between Engineering and Engineering Science at the University of Toronto?

The main difference between Engineering and Engineering Science at the University of Toronto is the focus of the curriculum. Engineering is a more traditional program that focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems. Engineering Science, on the other hand, is a more research-oriented program that emphasizes the theoretical and mathematical foundations of engineering. Students in Engineering Science also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of engineering.

2. What are the admission requirements for the University of Toronto's Engineering or Engineering Science programs?

The admission requirements for both Engineering and Engineering Science at the University of Toronto are the same. Students must have completed high school with a strong foundation in math and science courses, including calculus and physics. They must also have a competitive average in these courses and have strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, students must meet the English language proficiency requirements.

3. What is the job outlook for graduates of the University of Toronto's Engineering programs?

The job outlook for graduates of the University of Toronto's Engineering programs is very positive. With a strong reputation for producing highly skilled and knowledgeable engineers, graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, biomedical, and environmental engineering. The demand for engineers is also expected to grow in the coming years, making it a lucrative career choice.

4. Can students in the Engineering or Engineering Science programs at the University of Toronto participate in co-op or internship programs?

Yes, students in both the Engineering and Engineering Science programs at the University of Toronto have the opportunity to participate in co-op or internship programs. These programs provide students with hands-on experience and the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in a professional setting. It also allows students to network and gain valuable industry experience, making them more competitive in the job market after graduation.

5. What type of research opportunities are available for students in the Engineering or Engineering Science programs at the University of Toronto?

The University of Toronto is known for its strong research culture, and students in the Engineering and Engineering Science programs have access to various research opportunities. These include working with faculty members on cutting-edge research projects, participating in research internships, and conducting independent research as part of their studies. The university also offers various funding opportunities for students interested in pursuing research in their field of interest.