University Physics with Modern Physics by Bauer/Westfall?

In summary, the conversation discusses a book purchase made by the speaker, who realizes they may have bought the wrong version. They ask for general opinions on the book and whether they should get another one or supplement it with something else. The response suggests checking out two versions available on Amazon and reading reviews to make a decision.
CrunchBerries
Good day,

I made a purchase of this book by Bauer-Westfall, then realized I was looking for the Young/Freedman version.

Did I get a good book or is this a paper weight? I am using this for self study from Newton to E&M along with Single Variable calculus.

Any general opinions? Get another book? Supplement with something?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between "University Physics" and "Modern Physics"?

"University Physics" is a comprehensive introductory textbook that covers classical physics topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. "Modern Physics" is a branch of physics that focuses on more recent developments, including relativity, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics.

2. Is this textbook suitable for non-physics majors?

Yes, "University Physics with Modern Physics" is designed to be accessible to students with a variety of backgrounds and interests. The authors provide real-world examples and applications to help students understand the relevance of physics concepts in everyday life.

3. Can this textbook be used for both algebra-based and calculus-based physics courses?

Yes, this textbook is designed to be used for both types of courses. The authors have included sections that use calculus to provide a deeper understanding of the concepts, but the main topics can be understood without a strong background in calculus.

4. Are there online resources available for this textbook?

Yes, there are several online resources available for this textbook, including interactive learning tools, practice quizzes, and supplemental materials. These resources can be accessed through the textbook's publisher website.

5. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, "University Physics with Modern Physics" is written in a clear and concise manner, making it suitable for self-study. Additionally, the textbook includes practice problems and examples to help reinforce the material and check understanding.