Unraveling Supersymmetry: Questions and Evidence in Modern Physics

In summary, there is no evidence for supersymmetry beyond the standard model, and the theory needs some fine tuning in order to match observations. Supersymmetry is thought to be responsible for the strong force, the weak force, and the electromagnetic force.
Symbreak
These are questions for anyone who understands the modern theory of supersymmetry.

I have recently read some articles on supersymmetry and its capacity to unify the forces of nature, along with providing a better explanation on the arisal of the higgs mechanism.

Q1: Fermions and bosons are effectively governed by interchangeable laws. But if so, why don't bosons have antiparticles?

Q2: If antiparticles have supersymmetric partners, does this mean the asymmetry in matter-antimatter appplies for supersymmetric particles too?

Q3: Has there been any evidence for supersymmetry since 2000?

Physics news on Phys.org
Symbreak said:
These are questions for anyone who understands the modern theory of supersymmetry.

I have recently read some articles on supersymmetry and its capacity to unify the forces of nature, along with providing a better explanation on the arisal of the higgs mechanism.

Q1: Fermions and bosons are effectively governed by interchangeable laws. But if so, why don't bosons have antiparticles?

They do! The W+ and W- particles of electroweak theory are bosonic antiparticles, and every gluon has an antigluon. But it happens that bosons which are uncharged in both the electrical and color sense are their own antiparticle (this is just exactly like a quadratic equation having two equal roots). The Z0 and photon are the examples of this.

Q2: If antiparticles have supersymmetric partners, does this mean the asymmetry in matter-antimatter appplies for supersymmetric particles too?

Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I believe there is a positive and negative wino (fermionic superpartner of a W boson), and they would be antiparticles. If I'm telling wrong, someone correct me!

Q3: Has there been any evidence for supersymmetry since 2000?

Repeated adjustments to the measured mass of the top quark has caused a dramatic narrowing of the window of "reasonable expected masses" of supersymmetric particles at available collider energies. This means that people who do supersymmetric extensions of the standard model have to indulge in some unwelcome fine tuning to fit their models to observation. No supersymmetric partner particle has ever been observed. Winos were one of the candidates for dark matter.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
They do! The W+ and W- particles of electroweak theory are bosonic antiparticles, and every gluon has an antigluon. But it happens that bosons which are uncharged in both the electrical and color sense are their own antiparticle (this is just exactly like a quadratic equation having two equal roots). The Z0 and photon are the examples of this.

Not sure what you mean here, but yes, I believe there is a positive and negative wino (fermionic superpartner of a W boson), and they would be antiparticles. If I'm telling wrong, someone correct me!

Repeated adjustments to the measured mass of the top quark has caused a dramatic narrowing of the window of "reasonable expected masses" of supersymmetric particles at available collider energies. This means that people who do supersymmetric extensions of the standard model have to indulge in some unwelcome fine tuning to fit their models to observation. No supersymmetric partner particle has ever been observed. Winos were one of the candidates for dark matter.

how about neutralinos?

Related to Unraveling Supersymmetry: Questions and Evidence in Modern Physics

1. What is supersymmetry and why is it important in modern physics?

Supersymmetry is a proposed theoretical framework in physics that suggests for every known fundamental particle, there exists a corresponding "superpartner" particle. It is important because it could help explain certain phenomena that cannot be accounted for by the Standard Model, such as dark matter and the hierarchy problem.

2. How does supersymmetry relate to string theory?

Supersymmetry is a key component of string theory, which is a proposed theory of everything that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. The existence of supersymmetric particles has been predicted by string theory, and their discovery would provide support for this theory.

3. What evidence exists for supersymmetry?

Despite decades of research, there is currently no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetry. However, there are several indirect pieces of evidence that suggest it could be a valid theory, such as the existence of dark matter and the unification of the fundamental forces at high energies.

4. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and how does it play a role in the search for supersymmetry?

The LHC is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. It is used to collide particles at high energies in order to study their properties and potentially discover new particles, including supersymmetric particles.

5. What are the potential implications if supersymmetry is proven to be true?

If supersymmetry is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially revolutionize the field of physics. It could help solve long-standing mysteries such as the nature of dark matter and the hierarchy problem, and could also lead to the development of new technologies and applications.