Upgrading Video Cards: Best GPU for AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO

In summary, the GeForce GT 630 GT630-2GD3 is a good choice for a budget-conscious gamer who does not need the most powerful graphics card, while the GeForce GT 440 with 1 gig of DDR5 memory is a better choice for gamers who want the best possible performance for their budget. If you are planning on playing games at resolutions higher than 1080p, 4gb of system RAM and 1gb of DDR5 vram will be enough.
DHF
Greetings,

I am currently building a new system and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. my concern is over the video card currently. I have two in mind but I don’t want to pay for something that I won't get the full performance out of.

Both cards are Asus, the first is the GeForce GT 630 GT630-2GD3. its 2 gigs, DDR3 and the memory clock is at 1.8ghz

The second is a ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 with 1 gig of DDR5 memory and a clock speed of 3.2 ghz

My board is ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ and the CPU I am going with is a AMD-FX4100 quad core.

My concern is that some people have mentioned the DDR5 cards are actually faster than many CPUs can handle so you don’t get the full performance out of them. if that is the case here I would rather get the DDR3 card and get 2 gigs of memory.

can anyone tell me if my CPU and motherboard would be a bottleneck for the faster video card?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
DHF said:
Greetings,

I am currently building a new system and I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. my concern is over the video card currently. I have two in mind but I don't want to pay for something that I won't get the full performance out of.

both cards are Asus, the first is the GeForce GT 630 GT630-2GD3. its 2 gigs, DDR3 and the memory clock is at 1.8ghz

the second is a ENGT440/DI/1GD5 GeForce GT 440 with 1 gig of DDR5 memory and a clock speed of 3.2 ghz

my board is ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X AM3+ and the CPU I am going with is a AMD-FX4100 quad core.

my concern is that some people have mentioned the DDR5 cards are actually faster then many CPUs can handle so you don't get the full performance out of them. if that is the case here I would rather get the DDR3 card and get 2 gigs of memory.

can anyone tell me if my CPU and motherboard would be a bottleneck for the faster video card?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Good source for this infor is here http://www.tomshardware.com/

That's a 3.6ghz processor which is quite fast and almost all video cards made these days are ddr5 which should tell you something.

The vram has to hold not only the image being displayed, but whatever images the program predicts you might need next. For example, as you approach a corner it might predict it will need to display whatever is around the corner and so it loads that into the vram. The higher the resolution of the display and the more complex the scene the more data it has to store to prevent the game from faltering and some 80% of all the data in a game is just textures. However, if you do something it doesn't predict such as turning around, faster vram is more helpful.

System ram also plays a part, but unless you are going for an extreme desktop or have a monitor resolution above 1080p 4gb of system ram and 1gb of ddr5 vram are usually plenty. Most people who buy a video card with 2gb of vram have higher resolution monitors or multiple monitors. A few games coming out these days like Rage can use 3 or 4gb of vram even on a 1080p monitor because the textures are so large and I assume sometime in the future that will become the new standard as ultra resolution monitors flood the market, but not anytime soon.

Last edited:
wuliheron said:
I assume sometime in the future that will become the new standard as ultra resolution monitors flood the market, but not anytime soon.

With a resolution of 4096x2160 the 36" LED backlit DuraVision FDH3601 is released next month, i personally can't wait!

Technically your right, its not the standard at all but the near future (2013) 4k monitors will be mainstream.

How about the AMD equivilent, the HD6670
Personally i am an Nvidia fan boy, but at the low end of the spectrum AMD turns out slightly better in my opinion. mainly due to you already having an AMD Mobo + CPU, but if you can get your hands on the gtx440 it will be faster then the 630 and the hd6670, mainly due to the gddr5 and the 630 being based off the original 6300 chipset, but really comes down to what games you are planning on playing to get your "Full Performance"

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a GPU for my AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO?

When choosing a GPU for your AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO, you should consider factors such as compatibility, power requirements, budget, and intended use. Make sure the GPU is compatible with your motherboard and has the necessary power supply connections. Consider your budget and how much you are willing to spend on a GPU. Also, think about the type of tasks you will be using the GPU for, such as gaming or video editing, and choose a GPU with the appropriate specifications for your needs.

2. How do I know if a GPU is compatible with my AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO?

To determine if a GPU is compatible with your AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO, you can check the specifications of your motherboard and the GPU. Look for compatibility with the PCI Express slot type, as well as the power supply connections required. You can also consult with the manufacturer or refer to online compatibility lists for your specific motherboard and GPU.

3. What is the recommended power supply for a GPU on an AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO?

The recommended power supply for a GPU on an AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO will depend on the specific GPU you choose. Generally, a minimum of 500W is recommended, but it is best to check the power supply requirements of your chosen GPU. Consider also the power consumption of other components in your system when selecting a power supply.

4. How do I install a new GPU on my AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO?

To install a new GPU on your AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO, you will need to open your computer case and locate the PCI Express slot. Carefully insert the GPU into the slot, making sure it is properly seated. You will also need to connect the necessary power supply cables to the GPU. Finally, install drivers for the new GPU and make any necessary changes in your computer's BIOS settings.

5. What is the best GPU for gaming on an AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO?

The best GPU for gaming on an AMD-FX4100 & ASUS M5A99X EVO will depend on your budget and the specific games you play. Generally, a mid-range to high-end GPU will provide the best performance for gaming on this setup. Some popular options include the NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti, AMD Radeon RX 5700, or NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super. It is best to research and compare the specifications and prices of different GPUs to find the best fit for your needs.