Upon the initial cosmological singularity

In summary: The singularity is not a cause but rather a result of our choice of coordinates to describe the expansion of the universe. In summary, the big bang model suggests that the origin of the universe can be viewed from different perspectives, such as an observer occupying the singularity or a higher dimensional "superspace." However, it is argued that the singularity should not be considered separately from the entire cosmological manifold, and that it is the expansion of the universe that determines both the direction of time and the singularity itself. Additionally, there are approaches to quantum cosmology that suggest the singularity may not even exist, but rather a bounce or pre-big-bang existence. Ultimately, the concept of the singularity as a governing force for
Loren Booda
What perspective can one take concerning the origin of the universe in the big bang model? Can a collapsed observer occupy the singularity itself, or is there a higher dimensional "superspace" (John Archibald Wheeler) one shares apart from it? Might an observer possesses properties beyond those of ordinary space-time, to enable cosmogony outside the confines of a point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
What perspective can one take concerning the origin of the universe in the big bang model? Can a collapsed observer occupy the singularity itself, or is there a higher dimensional "superspace" (John Archibald Wheeler) one shares apart from it? Might an observer possesses properties beyond those of ordinary space-time, to enable cosmogony outside the confines of a point?
There once was a man who said,
“God
Must think it exceedingly odd
If He finds that this tree
Continues to be
When there’s no one about in the Quad.”

“Dear Sir:
Your astonishment’s odd:
I am always about in the Quad
And that’s why the tree
Will continue to be,
Since observed by,
Yours faithfully,
God.”
“God in the Quad”—a précis of the thinking of Bishop George Berkeley (Irish Philosopher 1685-1753) by Ronald Knox.

(I know this might be moved to the philosophy section - but Berkeley's thinking that 'objective existence is dependent on an observer' is pertinent to the QM cosmological question.)

Garth

Last edited:
Give this thread another try; I think you'll find it worthwhile. Please review the initial post.

How do you model yourself: inside or outside the primordial point whence time's arrow derived its dawn and direction?

Loren, I am not at all sure the initial singularity is really there, in a suffuciient sense to support philosophical argument. Various approaches to quantum cosmology seem to predict no singularity and some kind of bounce, perhaps a pre-big-bang existence of some sort. And Hawking famously asserted his no-boundary condition, which looks at a mere "cooordinate singulatiry (like what happens to longitude at the poles, no real geometry change there, but the coordinate system blows up. There's a topological theorem that any coordinate system on a sphere has to blow up somewhere).

But if we want to assume a big-bang cosmology for purposes of argument then I would say that within such assumption it is wrong (breaks covariance) to think about the singularity apart from the whole cosmological manifold. In other words it's the whole existence and shape of spacetime, with causality acting within it, that you have to account for and describe, not some mere pointy end of it. This I believe is what Wheeler was getting at, the observer sees it all. And I don't think it requires an embedding in higher space to do this. I know it's hard for non mathematicians to understand this, but the universe can be observed in and of itself, with its self-defining geometry, without any higher dimensional perspective. In fact this is one of the exciting things about Riemannian and pseudo-Riemannian geometry, that they do self-define themselves; from the metric you can get the connection or you can use the connection in the tangent bundle to define the metric, either way it's without any reference to stuff outside the manifold.

selfAdjoint,

Your response deserves much study. It certainly shows me how far removed from physics I have become. One observation that I might surmise from the cosmological spacetime manifold is the constraint that both it and its curvature must be continuous.

What do you think of a big bang singularity governing direction, not only spacetime origin, of time?

Loren Booda said:
What do you think of a big bang singularity governing direction, not only spacetime origin, of time?

I personally would rather say that the expansion, that is the four-dimensional shape of the spacetime manifold, determines both the direction of time (i.e. the direction in which it gets bigger) and the singularity, as a distinguished point on the manifold.

What is the initial cosmological singularity?

The initial cosmological singularity is a theoretical event that marks the beginning of the universe. It is believed to be a point of infinite density and temperature, where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

What caused the initial cosmological singularity?

The cause of the initial cosmological singularity is still unknown and remains a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest it was a result of a quantum fluctuation, while others propose the existence of a multiverse.

What happened after the initial cosmological singularity?

After the initial cosmological singularity, the universe underwent a rapid expansion known as the Big Bang. This expansion created the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe today.

How do scientists study the initial cosmological singularity?

Scientists study the initial cosmological singularity through various methods, such as observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, mathematical models, and experiments using particle accelerators.

What are the implications of the initial cosmological singularity?

The concept of the initial cosmological singularity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the possibility of a cyclical nature of the universe.