Upper-level Linear Algebra or upper-level ODEs?

In summary: ODE class.In summary, both courses are required for a physics major at Cornell, though the Math 4310 class is a pre-req for later classes.
RedAnsar
Hi all,

The title is pretty much the question. My friend (who wants to go to graduate school in Physics) is between two courses the math department offers: an upper-level linear algebra course, and a second course in ODEs. Here are the course descriptions:
MATH4200 - Differential Equations and dynamical systems

Covers ordinary differential equations in one and higher dimensions: qualitative, analytic, and numerical methods. Emphasis is on differential equations as models and the implications of the theory for the behavior of the system being modeled and includes an introduction to bifurcations.
and
MATH4310 - Linear Algebra

Introduction to linear algebra, including the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations. Additional topics are quadratic forms and inner product spaces, canonical forms for various classes of matrices and linear transformations.
The school in question is Cornell, in case anyone has further suggestions that could be relevant to Cornell in particular?

Thanks!
Ansar

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are very nearly essential.

I don't know what you're friend has already taken in terms of math, but I would agree with Number Nine. Both of those courses are essentially required if your friend wants to go to grad school for physics.

In my university, you can't get your degree without taking several courses in both of those areas.

Hey there! I'm a physics major at Cornell as well. I agree with the above but if he/she can only pick one of the two then I would personally go with the LA class because it is a pre-req for some important classes that come later on in the Cornell curriculum.

I don't understand how he can take Diff Eq without linear algebra. Has he already taken some "lesser" linear algebra? Perhaps stuck into the calc sequence?

Robert1986 said:
I don't understand how he can take Diff Eq without linear algebra. Has he already taken some "lesser" linear algebra? Perhaps stuck into the calc sequence?

It is usually necessary for at least a chapter of the course when you deal with systems, but I know that in my linear algebra class a lot of the students didn't have linear algebra- they just had to spend more time learning the linear algebra. The instructor also did a short review of some of the necessary LA. Although, I would recommend a student taking ODE's to at least have knowledge of basic linear algebra...

1. What is the difference between upper-level Linear Algebra and lower-level Linear Algebra?

Upper-level Linear Algebra builds upon the concepts and techniques covered in lower-level Linear Algebra courses. It typically covers more advanced topics such as vector spaces, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations.

2. How does Linear Algebra relate to other areas of mathematics?

Linear Algebra is a fundamental branch of mathematics and is closely related to other areas such as abstract algebra, calculus, and differential equations. It provides the foundation for many mathematical concepts and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What are the applications of Linear Algebra in real-world problems?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in real-world problems such as data analysis, image processing, and optimization. It is also used in various fields such as economics, statistics, and finance.

4. What are Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs)?

ODEs are mathematical equations that describe how a variable changes over time. They involve a dependent variable and one or more independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to model various physical phenomena, such as population growth and chemical reactions.

5. What are the methods for solving ODEs?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and using power series. Other techniques such as variation of parameters and Laplace transforms are also commonly used. The choice of method depends on the type of ODE and the available initial or boundary conditions.